Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 PM   #21

Dear JimC,
Thank you for your patient and clear explanation ... also thank you for increasing file size to 253.9KB. I am new to the blogging business so my apologies if any part of my first post sounded like I'm picking faults of your forum, which by the way was not my intention. I think your forum is fantastic and I have been following your forum for quite sometime now and only felt confident today to post something that I thought might be useful. I understand your point about APS-C designed lenses ... I think it would have been clear if I would have mentioned it as a foot note/legend in my list.
Once again thank you for your prompt and patient explanation.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:55 PM   #22
Administrator

The vBulletin forum defaults are 19.5KB.

But, we increased it to 260,000 bytes for images when we installed vBulletin, as that was what we had it set to before we migrated to vBulletin (we were previously using wowBB for our forums software), as we felt like 260,000 bytes (253.9KB) was a reasonable size for uploading images for forum viewing, without overloading our bandwidth and storage costs too much (keeping in mind that members attach a *lot* of images to posts here). Also, not all members have high speed internet and keeping file sizes smaller helps them to get faster page load times.

I just overlooked the parameters for other attachment types (.doc files, etc.) until seeing your post. So, I increased them to match the sizes we had set for images. If that's not high enough, I can increase it further if need be for .doc files, as rarely does anyone want to attach something like a .doc file to a post here (I doubt most members even realize the forums software allows for that).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Another observation is that it gets more complicated than your table design allows for with some Nikon cameras.

A number of newer Nikon dSLR models (D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and D5000) do not have focus motors built into the camera body. So, only AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing Motor) lenses will Autofocus on them (and that's not shown in those tables, since it's showing Canon lenses with a column to note if an equivalent Nikon lens exists). That means you can't use a number of Nikon Autofocus lenses with them if you want Autofocus (you don't get Autofocus with some Nikon dSLR models without an AF-S lens now).
Yes I agree with you about Nikon's non AF-S leneses (Nikon lenses are a bit complex when it comes to choosing), but my idea (since the topic for discussion was about nikon vs canon) was just to list the lenses available from Canon & Nikon to show that both manufacturers have euqally good lenses with some having a bit more in a particular focal length etc. The list I've added is just the first step, but I would eventually like to make a list which has all these complexities mentioned in a clear manner for people to understanding. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by rienz; Jun 23, 2010 at 5:38 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote