Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:25 PM   #11
Super Moderator

It is down to the individual, can the loss in quality compared to the glass they are used to be justified by the convenience.

Comparing the 70-300 they have and the Tamron 17-270, at 70mm the Tamron needs to be at f5.6 to be similar to the Canon at f4. At 100mm the Tamron needs to be right down to f11 to be as sharp as the Canon at f4.5. At 200mm, even at f11 the Tamron can't compare to the Canon at f5. Lastly at their max, 270 for the Tamron and 300 for the Canon, again even at f11 the Tamron still can't match the Canon (it is closer in this case).

If the OP wasn't used to having good glass this would be less of an issue, but the need to stop so much and lose the creative control of aperture choice while having aperture options could be major. I'm not saying not to get it, nor that the Tamron isn't a good option as far as these style lenses go, but I've seen many people spend quite a lot of money only to be disappointed in the results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:29 PM   #12

That is the big question, all in one vs multi lenses. For me the multi lens is the way I choose to go. But it is a more expensive route. And does not make packing light easy
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:32 PM   #13

PS

Sometime with all the travel I do, I am seriously tempted and wish I had a 1 lens option. Packing so much gear can be a pain at times.

Guess that is why I went with a travel camera option. At least the lenses on my m4/3 are smaller with a multi lens option
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:54 PM   #14

If you want a stabilized standard zoom with a good range that will compliment (rather that replace) the lenses you'ge got, the Canon 28-135 is a very good choice. If that doesn't go wide neough, there's the Canon 15-85. These will perform much better than the lenses you're looking at.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:56 PM   #15

If you were to go with the 15-85 it makes more sense to get the 70-300 as a 2 lens set up. but that is a 1100 dollar investment. You will get better image quality then the 18-270. But you will have have to pack 2 lenses.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:43 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you were to go with the 15-85 it makes more sense to get the 70-300 as a 2 lens set up. but that is a 1100 dollar investment. You will get better image quality then the 18-270. But you will have have to pack 2 lenses.

The OP already has the 70-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken212 View Post
TCav.. I like my opther lenses, one is a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and the other is a Canon 70-300mm with dual IS.
which is why I was saying he will notice a drop in quality. With current prices and rebates the Tamron is about $70 cheaper than the Canon 15-85, but that would still mean a two lens setup, but with much better quality.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:14 PM   #17
Super Moderator

For experienced photographers zoom lenses are a great convenience, but for inexperienced photographers they can be a curse, and a huge impediment to making progress. Composing a photograph by zooming is common and an absolute guarantee of mediocre pictures.

What will you be taking pictures of that you cannot walk a bit closer with a standard zoom?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote