Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Default need help picking lens for my T1i

I already have a couple of lenses for my T1i that I have special for my daughter's sports etc. I now want to buy a lens that would be good for everyday things and when I only want to carry one lens. Such as when I go to the beach, boardwalk, zoo, park, parties or everyday things. I wanted something that has a range of 18-200 or more.

I want image stabilization or something similiar to it depending on what the companiy calls it. I have seen three lens from three different companies and was wondering which would be the best for my situation and which gives the sharpest pictures out of them. I know when you buy an all in one zoom sometimes they are not the best at their extremes on the lens. But just looking for an opinion.

First is the Canon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 with IS. The nest is the Tamron 18-270 f3.5-6.3 with VC and the final one is the Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 with OS.

Any suggestions?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:33 AM   #2

What you're looking for is a 'jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none' lens. In other words, a lens that can do a lot, but won't do anything well. The lenses you already have probably do a better job than any of the lenses you're talking about.

See:
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested)
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (Tested)
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested)

They all distort pretty badly, so I wouldn't use them for architecture. The Canon vignettes worse than the other two. The Tamron has a lot of chromatic aberration at the long end, and the Sigma has a lot of chromatic aberration at either end. But that is not to say that the Canon is particularly good; it's just not quite as bad as the other two. They all need to be stopped down two stops to get reasonably sharp, which is a lot consideing these lenses aren't particularly fast to start with. Stopping down a lot would also take care of the Canon's vignetting, btw.

For outdoors, you'll probably see a lot of chromatic aberration from any of these, but it will probably be most severe for "beach, boardwalk".

All these lenses are big, so, with or without the lens hood, they'll block the light from the built-in flash on your T1i, so you'll end up with an odd shadow on the bottom of your flash photos. You may want to get an external flash as well if you plan to shoot indoors.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 6, 2010 at 5:35 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 AM   #3

The canon 18-200 is a better lens then the tamron 18-200, but if you want a jack of all trade with better reach. The tamron 18-270mm VC is a decent lens and will cover a wider range.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:34 PM   #4

TCav.. I like my opther lenses, one is a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and the other is a Canon 70-300mm with dual IS. I wish the Tamron had the VC that is why I mentioned their 18-270 since that is the only one in that range with VC. I like the Canon has the dual IS. But as you can see they both start at the 70 and that is why I wanted an 18-200+ which I was hoping would kind of be a jack of all trades for when I didn't want to have to change lens. Also in certain situations it is hard to back up to compensate for it starting at 70mm.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:39 PM   #5

shoturtle... I see you also have the T1i, how do you like it? I like the idea of the Tamron range of 18-270, but if the quality of the Canon is better than I guess I would sacrifice by getting an 18-200. Which would you get if you had to buy one? For the type of things I mentioned. My other lens are the ones I use for sports ot just need to zoom in, but they are not good for close things.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:51 PM   #6

I like the t1i allot, the 18-270 is not that bad of a lens. There is some distortion on the long end, but not unusable. If I had to pick an all in one lens, the 18-270 would be my pick. I have thought about getting it serval times, but just could not bring myself to get it as I have couple of lenses that cover this range. The 18-270 is as go as the as the ef 18-200 in the same range actually imho. You just get that extra 70mm of reach that the canon does not have.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

From what you've said you are aware of this already, but you are not going to get results nearly as good with the 18-270 or any other option as you do with the 70-300 and far far less than the 70-200mm f2.8. Just want you to be sure you are ready for the quality drop especially when the aperture is wide open and don't forget you are starting with a quite dark lens anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:00 PM   #8

That is true it is not as bright as the 70-300mm lens. But compare the the ef 18-200 it is the same form 18-200mm, you do not hit 6.3 until you get to the long end. But none of the all in ones are low light lenses, though with the t1i at 6400iso, you can get some shots, but with a bit of noise.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

It wasn't really about low light, it is about how much they need stopping down to get similar sharpness levels to the two lenses the OP already has as they both perform well wide open or closed a little where as that's not so much of the case with the lenses being discussed.

It's been mentioned that it is all about compromise so the convenience gained has to balance the other losses in sharpness and other optical issues.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:06 PM   #10

The tamron 18-270 is not a bad lens, it is decently sharp for a megazoom that reaches out to 270mm. I have used a friends copy. And for the convenience factor, it is pretty good and livable compromise for someone looking for a 1 lens option.