Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Macro Lens for 5D Mark II

The other day, I tried to take a few upclose photos and results were less that I had hoped.

I don't have a macro lens for shooting upclose.

I've briefly looked at EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro. But to completely honest, I have no idea what I'm looking at. How do you decide on a close up macro lens?

Which non-canon lenses should I consider for my Canon camera?

The shot I missed was a yellow butterfly on a red flower in our garden. It was a beautiful contrast of colors that I shot from 5 feet away. The photo was really "blah" it really needed a better DOF.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2

The ef 50mm 2.5 is not a true macro lens, it is 1:2 not 1:1. If you want a short macro the sigma 50mm is not bad

How much do want to spend, a 90-105mm is a bit more useful for a ff camera.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I find my sigma 105, although fantastically sharp a bit short on FF, also as you mention longer shooting distances then the sigma 150 or 180 are well worth a look. You mention DOF, what do you want regarding this?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:37 PM   #4

There are no bad macro lenses. The distinguishing characteristic is focal length. If you'll be shooting small subjects that are easily frightened, you'll want long focal lengths. If you will be shooting inanimate subjects in good lighting conditions, you might want to use a shorter lens. If you'll be shooting in available light, a longer lens will let you back away and not block your own light. If you'll be shooting handheld, you might want something stabilized, and while there is only one stablized lens that does 1:1 macro, there are stabilized lenses that can do 1:2 or 1:3 macro.

So, what do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Working distance is always a concern with respect to Macro lenses. 150mm is the best when u consider working distance, cost and quality. Built like a tank and takes very good sharp pictures and also accepts 1.4x extenders for a quick 300mm lens.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
... and also accepts 1.4x extenders for a quick 300mm lens.
That would be a quick 210mm lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:56 PM   #7

I think you will find a good starting point with the EF 100 2.8 macro. They are not too expensive but yeild good results. After that its up to you how far you want to persue the macro world. I shot a lot of Macro for a short period and found the best results in the EF 180L or the digital microscope EF 60 macro. Be patieint, and be prepared for manual focusing which sometimes takes a different focuing screen on the camera body. Its all dependant on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole! LOL
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:58 AM   #8
NHL

I second the Sigma 150 f/2.8...

In fact the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro is also so good, it's de-facto standard for most FF cameras resolution test on most major sites...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:58 PM   #9

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hi,

And what about the new Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 L IS USM? Hybrid-IS seems rather efficient (2 stops advantage at 1:1?)

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:00 PM   #10

The ef 100 2.8L IS gives me lens envy. That is one heck of a lens. That would be an great choice on a FF camera also.