Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Good All around Lens

I think I have decided on purchasing the Canon T2i but from what I've read the kit lens holds this camera back. I'm thinking about buying the body only and getting a better lens for it. I will mainly be shooting pictures of my kids and family so I need something that does well in indoor and outdoor situations and is fast to focus as the kids move around so quickly. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
mprince74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:26 PM   #2

do you need a long zoom, if not the ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM is a much better lens then the kit, and allot brighter then the kit.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:30 PM   #3

I think most of the pictures I will be taking will be close up or across the room type pictures of family members. Is there at least a little zoon in the 2.8?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:40 PM   #4

f2.8 is the aperture. And it has about the same zoom range of 3.5x as the kit lens. But 2.8 will give much better low light ability.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:45 PM   #5

The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is actually pretty good and a bona fide bargain.

Either the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM would be an excellent replacement, but they are much more expensive.

I don't know where you might have heard that the kit 18-55 holds the T2i back, but I disagree. As a kit lens, it performs very well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:41 PM   #6

Sorry, I should clarify what I meant by holding the camera back. I had read on several reviews that the kit lens can be a little slow to focus and people recommended getting a faster lens if you were dealing with kids. After looking at your suggestions I'm thinking the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM will be right for me.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:44 PM   #7

The USM on canon lens tells they focus faster then regular dc motors of the kit lens. So if keeping up with kids, the USM lens will make it a better lens for that, and the 2.8 will give it better low light then the kit lens.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:36 PM   #8

The 17-55/2.8 IS USM is an excellent lens, and should serve you well. If you want to try it out, LensRentals.com has it available.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:52 PM   #9
Super Moderator

The Canon 17-55 is a stunning lens, right up there with the L series lenses for full frame cameras so well worth the investment. If I was shooting with APS-C cameras rather than full frame for my primary use then this would be the lens I would have.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:17 PM   #10

You've already received some good advice. I have a number of lenses. Perhaps the best 'all round' lens I have is the 15-85mm Canon. The USM (fast focusing) and zoom range (15-85mm) are extra benefits for me compared to the 18-55 (non IS) kit lens I have.

Image quality of the 15-85mm is also better than the kit lenses (The IS 18-55mm version is better than my non-IS version). However having said that, I've made many good photos with the kit lens too, and it's focus isn't too bad.

I would probably buy with the kit lens (as the price difference is often very small). For me the difference between f2.8 and f3.5-5.6 lenses of this zoom range is noticeable but not so important. When I want large aperture lenses I go for primes.

Another option you might have is to keep the kit lens and buy a 85mm f1.8 lens, as it has fast focussing and is sharp wide open. Only thing is you loose the zoom convenience.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote