Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:05 AM   #11

I've got a basic IS question (relating to the Canon 75-300 IS USM for around $400) for anyone owning this. How much do you use the image stabilization? I've shot a lot of air shows, where I'm panning, following a plane moving a couple hundred mph, with a long zoom. Would I use IS when I and the target are moving? Or is there no advantage in that situation? Any other comments on that lens?
Thanks!
turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:55 AM   #12
NHL

IS help you steady the lens for handheld shots by detecting your movements and compensate for them during slow shutter speed operation (on static objects). For fast action (ie IS can't detect if an object is moving fast) shots, the shutter speed is what freezes the action and as the shutter speed increases IS become less and less effective...
For example you may use IS @ 1/60s to shoot a church bell tower handheld @ 300mm, but I wouldn't use the same 1/60s to shoot a fast moving plane even @ 70mm (beside on non-L lenses there's no differentiation between horizontal or vertical axis)! At 1/500s or more handshake is not a problem anymore is it? :P

USM however is a good feature to have, for one it's fast and eerily silent, two it allows you to quickly finetune the manual focusing ring without flipping the AF/MF switch. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleboy
I've got a basic IS question (relating to the Canon 75-300 IS USM for around $400) for anyone owning this. How much do you use the image stabilization? I've shot a lot of air shows, where I'm panning, following a plane moving a couple hundred mph, with a long zoom. Would I use IS when I and the target are moving? Or is there no advantage in that situation? Any other comments on that lens?
Thanks!
No, dont use IS on panning shots. the IS detects the panning as movement, and tries to correct it.

(some "L" IS lenses have a setting for panning, so only vertical camera shake is compensated.)
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote