Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1

Default Fashion show in the future - is my equipment good enough?

Hello everybody! I need some advices regarding a future fashion show that I'm planning to attend. I won't get paid for it (this time) and I really want to impress a friend of mine (fashion designer) with some shots. She is complaining that nobody could deliver her sharp enough images from her shows.
Do you think that my equipment - listed below, with a Speedlite 580EX and a tripod added will be enough?
I really need your advice as I just feel that my sharpest lens (100mm 2.8L IS Macro) will not be able to handle the job because of its fixed lenght...
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2

If it is a runway shoot, you will need a better zoom with faster AF. The 55-250 may not keep up. The 70-200 F4 would do nicely, and not be to heavy. And since you are shooting a flash, IS is not important. So you can get the non is version.

If you are shooting in burst mode, shoot at 1600iso with the flash, so you do not drain it to quickly.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3

But if you are not to far, the canon 24-105 f4L is another good option as it will give you a nice wide angle if the model is close to you. It is fast with the USM, and very sharp.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:54 AM   #4
Super Moderator

On a crop body the 70-200 might be too tight depending on your position so that is going to be helpful knowledge before spending out. Possibly a 24-70mm f2.8 is in order, or a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. Check they are allowing flash, will depend on the show but likely will be OK. I mention f2.8 over f4 to give you that extra light, if light is OK then f4 options can be considered.

If it was me and not being paid etc then I would play with the 100 and the 50 and see how you get on with them before I spent any cash.

You don't need a tripod at all for this sort of work.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5

Thank you for taking your time to answer to my concern.
Mark1616, you sound like my husband... "just go there and play"... but I'm the type of person who is going to take photos only if I know I can handle the job. If I don't get the desired results, there are other photographers out there for future jobs and reference.
Shoturtle, I'm sorry but I don't want to invest money in f/4, whatever lens is might be and not having IS is also something that doesn't sound good for me (cofee, excitement, etc).
With this kind of runway shows, you never know the location before, especialy the lighting available. 24-70mm sounds like a good alternative (I've checked some sample photos), even if the 70-200mm 2.8 mark II is sharper and you can use it even on a crop body with better results and from a shorter distance than the previous versions.
I know you were trying to save me some money, but as long as I can't be sure of the efficiency of my equipment, I better invest some money than get no results at all.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:09 PM   #6

I would go with mark's suggestion with going with the 50 and the 100. They both will give you very sharp photos. And that will give you a good judge on what you might need in the future.

The 24-70 2.8L is a very good lens, but like the other 2.8L lenses are kinda pricey. So you may want to hold off on it. Your photo shoot turns out to be promising. Then move ahead and looking for the right lens.

But the sigma 50-150 2.8 HSM is also a excellent option mark suggested. And it is allot lighter then the 70-200 2.8L.

I have shot at couple of fashion shots on the runway with friends, and the primes work. But a zoom is more useful for the runway. So if this is something you will get deeper into, a good pro zoom is the best route to go.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Not sure I quite said go and play but like any of us going to shoot at a new venue we have to work with what we have. Honestly you should be able to get great results with that combo and it will allow you to see where to invest cash in the future so you don't get it wrong.

I wouldn't bother with the 70-200mm f2.8 mkII unless you are making a lot of money. I use the mkI on a 5DmkII and 7D (as well as others but these have the highest pixel counts so use them as a guide to sharpness) and it does a very good job. I shoot weddings and in often less then optimal conditions and the sharpness is very good. For very high end full time pros they will see the rewards of the mkII but for the difference you can get some other good glass, lighting etc.

You have the 2 bodies so with the 50 on one and the 100 on the other you are laughing.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:49 PM   #8

Shoturtle and Mark1616, I think I'll take your advice because you sure know what you're talking about. I'll just stick with my 2 primes for the beginning and see what results I can get. If the photos come out sharp and clear (as 50 and 100 usually deliver) I think I can deal with them, even if a zoom would've saved me from getting sore muscles from changing cameras...
But, on the other hand, I was today to a local photo supply store and saw/touched the 70-200 mkII. It is a heavy piece of glass... I couldn't see its real capabilities as they just allowed me to take photos of the shelves in the store... It is sharp, colors are great but I think I can wait until I'll pay it with my own income from taking photos.
Until then, I will just stick to pros advice and work with what I have and be happy with it.
Thanks again!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:55 PM   #9

the 70-200 2.8 mkII is a great lens, but as you saw first hand. It is heavy. But for pros it pays to lug such a heavy lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:05 PM   #10

Rent a couple of lenses from LensRentals.com, and find out want works best for you. Then, buy that one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote