Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Second Shooter in a Wedding

I just got hired to be a second shooter at wedding and I need to buy another lens and flash. All I have is the kit lens that came with my camera (18-55mm) and a 75-300mm. I am shooting with a basic Rebel XS.

I have been reading for weeks on which lens(es) to buy and now I am just overwhelmed. The location (ceremony and reception will be held at same location) is fairly dark and the walls are all brick.

Luckily I have plenty of time to mess around with whatever lens I decide to go with...

I was looking at this flash. Suggestions?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...?tid=CartLayer

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am not making any money off this (just gaining experience) so I obviously can't afford a $1,000 lens.
JayLongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2

flash nissin di622 over the vivtar. The 24-70L would be my pick, but since that is out of your budget, and the ef 17-55 2.8 is in the same price range. I would look at a sigma 17-70mm HSM 2.8-4, as you will be using a flash you may get away with f4 on the long end.

I am not sure if zooming with your feet is a option. If so the ef 50 1.4 and ef 85 1.8 may be an option. But that was the lenses I used at the last wedding I attended. And got some good indoor shots with the flash with shallow dof. But this is not the ideal setup.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:33 AM   #3

24-70 would be ideal though

if anything rent it, and add a 1dsmkIII with it
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Rent is an excellent, the 1dsmkiii is a great camera, but the op may get away with a 5d or 5dmkII
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:37 AM   #5

If you were hired by a photographer to be their second, I suggest you ask him/her what types of shots they want you to be taking. That will determine the lenses you need.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:38 AM   #6

oh, and forget cheap flashes - you'll want a decent amount of power and good battery life. A sigma flash or canon 580 will work nicely. There's a world of difference between taking some snapshots and being relied upon in a professional capacity.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:19 AM   #7

Thanks, everyone. Great advice!

John, you are right. I will ask the photographer.
JayLongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:52 PM   #8

The nissen di622 is up there with the canon 430ex and metz 48, and the nissin di866 is up there with the canon 580 and metz 58. Just price a bit better.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
If you were hired by a photographer to be their second, I suggest you ask him/her what types of shots they want you to be taking. That will determine the lenses you need.
+1

If you really want to break into this seriously you need to go ahead and bite the bullet. A 5D, 5DII, or 1Ds MKIII is a must as for lens choice you going to need to know what you are taking pictures of and what angle and position you will have. Keep in mind a goood wedding Photog is supposed to go somewhat unnoticed with the exception of the posed images which I would be willing to bet will be covered by the primary photog. Dont know what my thoghts would be being a second and not getting paid. I would at least try and negotiate to get paid by images used. Wedding photography is big business around here but because it is such wedding photogs are a dime a dozen so you etiher get in or you dont. Many starving wedding photogs here but on the flip side the few that do get in make a decent living from it.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:52 AM   #10

Yes, ask the photographer first. I would suggest: Canon 5D + 24 70mm.