Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:13 PM   #11

I very much appreciate all your help. Just had the idea (wondering why I didn't have it before) of asking a professional snowboard photographer. Since many of them have a blog I'm sure I'll find a nice guy who shares some knowledge. As soon as I know more I'll post it here. Should spending more money be the only way to go - well, snow doesn't fall yet.

Forgotten to mention, JustinThyme is right, a lack of light won't be an issue for sure.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
Forgotten to mention, JustinThyme is right, a lack of light won't be an issue for sure.
Yes. Your problem will be too much light.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:34 PM   #13

I was told by a pro that most pictures in the mags are shot with a 70-200mm lens (respectively 80-200mm for nikon users). The question is now if i should go for either the 70-200mm f/4L USM lens or the 70-300mm IS USM. Considering that I will shoot without a tripod now and then, the IS might come in handy and the additional focal length could be a nice plus for other uses. The 70-200 in contrast offers an amazing image and build quality. Do you think that with so much light the pictures will most likely be sharp without IS and without a tripod (assuming that the photographer chooses the right settings)?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:04 PM   #14

You will be using shutter speeds that are fast enough to prevent most (if not all) motion blur due to subject movement. So, you'll also be using shutter speeds that are fast enough to prevent most (if not all) motion blur due to camera shake. Therefore, you really won't need image stabilization for this.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:28 AM   #15

The pro said that he'd choose the better glass over features like IS too, especially for shooting action, so I'll go for he 70-200mm f/4L USM! Thanks a lot for the help everybody.

To JohnG: Maybe I'll have to rethink my shooting positions but since the athletes most often fill only a small part in snowboarding pictures (in contrast to all other sports) the focal length should fortunately (for me and my bank account) be adequate.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:28 AM   #16

With that kind of light IS wont be needed. If you can maintain a shutter speed of 1/600 or better you should be able to stop action and have no camera shake effect. Higher is better but 1/600 with reasonably steady hands will do the trick. A 400 2.8 would be awsome for this but they do come with a VERY healthy price tag!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
To JohnG: Maybe I'll have to rethink my shooting positions but since the athletes most often fill only a small part in snowboarding pictures (in contrast to all other sports) the focal length should fortunately (for me and my bank account) be adequate.
JohnG is talking about Lens working distances . For the AF system to work accurately, the subject must take up a significant portion of the frame and be within a certain range of distances. For what you want to do, that won't happen. And because of the abundance of light, you'll probably be stopped down anyway so the depth of field will probably keep the subject in focus. But since your subjects will be so small in the frame, the AF system is likely to hunt around looking for something to focus on, and may frequently focus on the wrong object.

JohnG, If I've misrepresented anything, I'd be pleased if you would correct me.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: sp.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:33 PM   #18

hey zero grav
just like you i too have to decide between a 70-300IS and the 70-200L f4 and right now im leaning toward the L lens as its best to have at least one high quality lens in your bag, also the size of the lens and the weight are quite decent. Besides every review i have read has favoured the L lens and if you can google the review that gives you a lens comparison between the 2 the L lens comes out the winner
good luck shooting
now with 70-300L being released im just waiting for a price drop
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote