Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1

Default Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mark II - Is it worth it to upgrade?

Is there anybody here who has upgraded from the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS to the latest 70 - 200 2.8 IS Mark II and uses the lens for wedding photography?
WAS is worth it to upgrade?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

We don't have many wedding photogs here at Steve's (which is a shame), and none that I know of have made a switch, I'm still happy with my mkI on the 5DmkII or 1DmkIII or 5D or 7D, whatever I put it on LOL it always makes me happy to use it.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3

How good is the current copy you have? A good bit of the mark 1 versions are weak at the 200mm mark. I have an excellent copy that is failry sharp thoughout the entire range. I considered upgrading but before I did went to B&H in NYC and took my glass with me as well and shot some with both in the store, honestly found my original to be better at some focal lengths and not quite as good at the 200mm end but close enough for me. I had mine up for sale/trade to do the upgrade and pulled the listing after the test drive and decided to keep the one I have. Best advice I can offer is to try one out for youself, there are plenty of rental places where you can rent or if there is a retailer nearby they should let you snap off a few before comitting. I dont do wedding photography but do plenty of people images with mine and sports. I didnt find it worth the extra $$ against my copy but your may show significant improvement. Only one way to find out!

Here are a couple of samples taken with mine with a canon 1.4 TC attached! Not getting much better than that, First all the way out and second all the way in.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...out-marta.html
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4

I just recently had use of the new lens for about a week. I was shooting with a 7D. The only thing I can compare it to is the Canon 70-200 f/4 and the Sony 70-200 f/2.8 and it is noticeably sharper (especially at 200 f/2.8), faster and a little bigger then those two lenses. It's the best lens in that range that I've ever used.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:13 PM   #5
NHL

FYI:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1316/cat/11
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/57/cat/11

-> Click on their Blur Indexes and you should see the differences, the new one is considerably better at all focal ranges and especially on a full-frame where the old one sharpness start to fall-off at the corners...

albeit at the expense of a slightly worst CA (@ 70mm)

Last edited by NHL; Aug 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:48 AM   #6

Tell you what, Ill let you know with some detailed findings between the two later in the week. A mint copy popped up on a B&S board at another photog forum that was priced too good to ignore so I snagged it. Basically the seller made an impulse buy and got in a jam and my bet is the wifey forced the sale! Bad for him, maybe good for me, Ill let you know when it gets here and I have had time to play a bit. I backed off from it at B&H mostly because of the price difference but this sale negated that aspect completely, a 2 week old lens for less than current retail of the MKI version.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:25 PM   #7

OK I just snapped off a few and here are the quick conclusions.
1) IS motor is nearly silent
2) Focus is faster and smoother
3) New hood design is much nicer with a matte finish and locking tab.
4) increased sharpness throughout zoom range
5) increased contrast
6)Substantial improvement in flare control
7) got just a tad longer by about 1/4 of an inch
8) Gained a little weight about 3/4 ounce in gain
9) focus ring is wider
10) range window is smaller
11) switches are a little more recessesed and closer to flush with the barrel

Im sure I could nit pick a few other differences but what I noted after just a few shots that was overbearing is the improved contrast and flare control with improvement in sharpness and how quiet the IS and AF are with AF being faster.

Whether or not these differences are enough to justify upgrading you will have to decide. What I can say is that I now have both in my hand and although I said I would never sell the mkI its up for sale, whether or not I would have done this without an excellent deal is questionable as my mkI copy is awsome, but not as good as the mkII.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Sep 2, 2010 at 4:28 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:41 PM   #8

Here is a shot and ~100% crop with the MKII version and my always ready model that does an awsome job for sharpness testing. Not as sharp as my 200 f2 but thats to be expected however sharper then my 70-200 MKI
MKIII
ISO200
f2.8
IS on mode 1 handheld
1/640
Raw to jpeg conversion only
Focus is on nose.

Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:47 PM   #9

After a good test drive period now I will definitely say it is worth the upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:56 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Looks good to me, but really can't afford one until I'm back in the UK and working.... even then have some extra kit (that's right, those who know me well, I want extra kit LOL) that I want to get first.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote