Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:32 PM   #1

Default image quality questions.

hi everybody, i was wanting to have everyones opinions on lenses and such.

currently i have a tamron 17-50 f/2.8, it seems like a good lense, but i don't have many to compare it to. one thing is though, that i want to move onto a few primes and a super wide angle lens (although i am on a tight budget) so i was wondering if everyone thought it would be worth it to move to a 85 f/1.8 and a 28 f/2.8?

i really want to get some glass that doesn't have lots of chromatic abberation, and has good sharpness and image quality as i also believe that those will be the lenses i will use the most if i'm not using a ultra wide angle.

if it helps, i am not using any flashes right now, but would like to move onto working on stuff with them. even though it will make things more complex, i want to get better
.d_b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:48 PM   #2

What do you want to photograph?

BTW, at 28mm, the unstabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 is as sharp or sharper, and has less CA than the Canon 28/2.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:50 PM   #3

hi
try to google the lens for a review of the particular make and model
google also gives some lab results as does some magazines
use that info with the advice from the lens gurus in here and then decide
also take your camera down to a store and shoot some shots
good luck
whatever dont rush into anything until you know exactly what type of imagery you want to create
wider angle lenses do cost more so save money and buy the best you can afford rather than buy one now and regret it later something all of us have done and so we try to pass on that knowledge
oops also try EPINIONS, its offers reviews/opinions/prices

Last edited by deterpawson; Sep 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM. Reason: add info
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:02 PM   #4

Welcome to Steve's by there way. I love shooting primes, mainly for low light work, and dof control.

Well I would pass on the 28mm 2.8 if you were looking to move into primes. It not as good as the tamron you have, just brighter. If you wanted a fast prime in the 28mm range. The ef 28mm 1.8 is a better lens, and stop down to f3 it is pretty sharp. This is actually a very good range for and APS-c body. Like a 50mm on a film or FF body.

The ef 85 1.8, is a very good lens. And actually it is my favorite lens. It focuses very fast.

like deter said there is allot of info on lenses out there. But here is one with all the lenses that mounts on the canon. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:24 PM   #5

thank you for the replies everyone. i mostly want to do branch into some modelling shots, landscape shots, and macro (maybe action down the way). for macro i am thinking of getting a extension tube for my lenses instead of just purchasing a macro lense.

and i like the link shoturtle, that really helps

one other question since i have read through some of that site, do you think teleconverters and an extension tube would be a better investment at this point in time?
.d_b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:35 PM   #6

Extension tubes will get you by but wont match a good macro lens. For TCs you have to keep in mind that what goes in comes out only magnified. If the lens you put in front of the TC is lacking its only going to magnify the imperfections. Canon TCs were engineered for and work best with long primes like the 200 2.0L, 300, 400 2.8L and 500, 600 4L super teles. This is another story in itself. Shorter focal length lenses were not meant to have TCs attached and the IQ will suffer as well as taking 2 stops of light away. 2.8 becomes 4.0 etc.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Sep 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:36 PM   #7

Teleconverters only work with lenses that are F4 or better. Any thing else they will not AF properly. But with all the lenses mention so far they will work one.

Extension tubes are a good way to start with macro. I would go with the kenko or canon tube with the electric connectors to have full aperture control. But they require time to mount and unmount the lens and tube.

If you are just starting out, and have a zoom lens like the ef-s 55-250 or ef 70-300, you can also get the Canon 500D macro conversion lens. It is a good one for about 80 dollars for the 58mm thread. It is a inexpensive way to start out, but a true macro lens would be the best way down the road to go if macro is something you think you are going to get deeper into.

Get a good tube, the cheap ones do not work as well from ebay. Allot of light leakage and no aperture control to control dof.

With modeling shots, a prime lens is not the ideal lens if it is for runways. But in the studio, you can back in and out to zoom that ways.