Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Default what lens?

I don't know if I am in the right place, I just saw Newbie and thought that applied Anyways I have a Canon 450d .. I am just starting to learn how to use it not on auto, its only been a few days.. the difference is WOW... and I am planning on sticking with it! Anyways, I know I haven't fully learned to use it but I want a new lens.. one with more background blur (don't you like my technical description?) What kinds of things should I look for when buying one.. I want to go out and grab one tomorrow. I want one because I see pictures by my photographer friends and they say mine can't quite achieve that affect... so I am hoping to find one I can play around with and get pictures that I love... any ideas ? I am sorry I am so ignorant to the camera world, please don't run me out! I am hoping to learn a LOT more! Thank you soooo much in advance for any help
OohLaLacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2

you are looking for a lens with a large aperture. And the blur is called bokeh. How much are you looking to spend. The smaller the f# the bigger the aperture. So your kit lens is 3.5-5.6. To get a richer bokeh effect, shooting at 1.8 to 2.8 would give you this effect easier.

A decent low cost one would be the canon ef 50mm 1.8 MKII.It sells for about 90-100 dollars. But there are better ones also in the 300 ranges in different focal ranges. But since you are starting out I think the plastic fantastic would be a good start. But if you want to get a better one. I have couple of suggests also.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:33 AM   #3

awesome. I was thinking from what I was reading and playing with that it was the aperture.. I will look into the plastic ones, not sure what my husband will say, though. (this is his leftover hobby he abandoned...) but I think somebody told him to get one and he was worried about it being flimsy.. but it seems they are reasonably priced. Which others do you suggest in the 300 range? I know it seems dumb looking for one so soon, but I just LOVE that style of pictures
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:39 AM   #4

With the lenses in the 300 dollar range. The canon ef 50mm 1.4 USM or ef 85mm 1.8 USM are both very good lenses and focus very fast. Much faster then what you are using currently.

Now if you want a zoom. It really gets expensive. Well over 500 dollars.

PS I had the plastic fantastic for 16 years. They are pretty durable.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5

cool, I am gonna look into those. I think I'll manage without a zoom for now.. haha.. THANKS so much, this is just what I needed to know!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:46 AM   #6

you are welcome. If you are going to get serious into photography. I would opt for the ones in the 300 dollar range. It is a good long term investment saves a upgrade step. I have both those lenses and they do perform better the the plastic fantastic.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:55 AM   #7

The 85mm is a good lens for facial portraits. It give you more working distance. But it may be to long if you do not have as much working room. So if you are shooting you 18-55 kit lens at 55, and find yourself walking in to frame your shots. The 85 would be a better start.

The 50mm 1.4 is a bit brighter lens, giving it an edge in low light at 1.4 vs 1.8. It is very good for full body portrait work. But may be a little short for facial portraits . So you need to move in more.

I would look at allot of the photos have taken that you wanted the blur and check the exif data to see the range you were at. That can give you a good idea which focal range is a better lens to start with.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:48 AM   #8

In addition to the lenses shoturtle mentioned, there's also the Canon 35mm f/2 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4. There's also a Manual Focus 85mm f/1.4 manufactured by Samyang but sold under a variety of brand names. It appears to be good, but it's manual focus, and that's not quite so easy to do with modern dSLRs. And focus accuracy is especially important with shallow depths of field.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:43 AM   #9
Super Moderator

As you are still in the learning stage and not sure where you really want to go I would look at the 50mm f1.8 (plastic fantastic), it's sub $100 I believe and will allow you to start to investigate the world of large aperture photography without the high cost. Some people don't get along well with prime (non zoom) lenses so I wouldn't go big for now. If you like it but want better quality then you can upgrade, if you don't then you haven't lost much and you can sell it on ebay..... better still buy from ebay and then sell again for the same price if you don't get along with it Actually I like buying new, but usually lenses are quite safe on ebay.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Just to add, I've moved this into the Canon lenses section for you.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote