Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:51 PM   #1

Default do you have 50mm f1.8?

Hello,

For what purpose you use this lens? It is not a macro lens and it is not wideangle lens. So? What can i do with these lens? What is it's limits?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:53 PM   #2

It is a good for shooting low light, and when you want to dof shallow dof with the blur background. Actually it can do some decent close up but not true macro.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:05 PM   #3

Quote:
when you want to dof shallow dof with the blur background.
Bigger aperture has greater shallow DOF right? So i can't get this DOF with 18-55mm. It's minimal focus is 0.45 i thougt it is not for macro.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:09 PM   #4

correct it is allot more shallow dof with larger aperture.

This shot is with the ef 50 1.8 at 1.8, indoor low light
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:32 PM   #5

It is ISO 250 indoor excellent results.

Is there any specific purpose to use it in daylight? with this aperture and good light conditions you can take fast object's pictures like F1 cars etc.. problem is it is fixed.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:41 PM   #6

out doors, you will not want to shoot at 1.8-3 as it is a bit soft. But it does give you a really fast shutter speed, and it is not ideal for shooting F1 cars as it may be to short, and it is not a usm lens, so it will not focus fast enough for cars moving at 170mph.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:01 PM   #7

Thanks shoturtle, i would like to post samples in this thread later.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:30 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
out doors, you will not want to shoot at 1.8-3 as it is a bit soft. But it does give you a really fast shutter speed, and it is not ideal for shooting F1 cars as it may be to short, and it is not a usm lens, so it will not focus fast enough for cars moving at 170mph.
F1 wouldn't want crazy fast shutter speeds as in motorsport you aim to get some motion blur. The next thing is you would want 200mm+ in general an for the average shooters location more like 400mm. Re the AF, it could easily cope as it is not the speed of the car we are talking about but relative distance change and is also affected by the focal length, most angles shooting motorsport this isn't major, it is only head on shots where it becomes an issue, being quite wide then you are not shifting focus much as you would never be using it close.

So not an ideal lens but mainly due to length.

Getting back to the original question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Hello,

For what purpose you use this lens? It is not a macro lens and it is not wideangle lens. So? What can i do with these lens? What is it's limits?
Depending on the body you are using the use can be changed. At an engagement yesterday I used it both on a full frame 5DmkII and a APS-C crop camera (7D). With the full frame I used it where I wanted a semi wide/normal shot but being able to throw the background out of focus that I can't do with my 24-105mm f4. With the crop then I was using it for tighter shots to capture expressions and emotion again throwing the background out of focus to give separation.

You have to be careful with a fast lens like this as the depth of field is quite narrow, especially when you start getting close. That problem can be seen in ST's sample where the focus is in front of the subject so there is good detail in the cloth and the rest is soft. You have to be very accurate when using such glass.

Here are two examples, the first is me shooting with the full frame and the 2nd is my wife's shot on the crop body.
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:25 AM   #9

I bought mine last year for indoor basketball. At iso 1600, 1/400, f 2.0 it worked great. I just bought a 85mm 1.8, can't wait to use it when bball starts in a few weeks.
Attached Images

Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:43 AM   #10

This has to be the best value lens there is. It takes great shots, I have just got mine and it is really good I will post some shoots later
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote