Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:27 PM   #1

Default [Q] Walk Around Lens for Canon T1i

I have a Canon T1i Camera with a Kit Lens and Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens.I wanted to know if i should get a better lens for walk around and use it instead of the standard kit lens ? If yes? then which lens should i buy ?

I am new to this lenses so will great appreciate any help provided
bikermunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

A few questions

1. What is your budget?
2. What don't you like about the kit lens? What types of things can it not do for you?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
A few questions

1. What is your budget?
2. What don't you like about the kit lens? What types of things can it not do for you?
My Budget is upto $400.00

There is nothing in particular i hate about the kit lens but i have a feeling that it does not take picture as crisp as a dslr should but i am love with my other lens. Like the other day i was at the beach so you get a good picture either i have to crop the body to get a good background or i have crop the background to have people in the picture which i think can be avoided with a lens

I like to take pictures of people most of the time like vacations,kids pictures, family. I am not even sure if i really need another lens but i thought i should check with people on here who has more exp using the lenses and camera than i do
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:43 PM   #4

It sounds like the kit lens is a bit shy on the reach. And a longer lens might be useful.

If do not need allot of reach, the sigma 18-125 may work.

http://www.adorama.com/SG18125OSSG.html
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the kit lens is plenty sharp. you can get more crispness out of any of your shots with a little learning of unsharp in photoshop or competitive products. so that may be part of it.

if you are lacking reach, another option may be to add a telephoto. it will require a lens switch when you need it, unlike the aforementioned superzoom type lens like the 18-125s or 18-200s. canons 55-250 IS is an affordable choice for a telephoto that is still sharp and not heavy and cumbersome.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:23 PM   #6

The 55-250 is a very light lens and easy to carry around. I use it in my travel setup. It is pretty sharp, and have very good reach. The kit lens and 55-250 makes a very good duel.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 55-250 is a very light lens and easy to carry around. I use it in my travel setup. It is pretty sharp, and have very good reach. The kit lens and 55-250 makes a very good duel.
Can i use this lens as a walk around lens ? or do i need to keep switching between this one and other one ?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:38 PM   #8

If you do not need a wide angle, you can. But if you find yourself needing the wider angle. You will need to switch.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:55 PM   #9

hi
take your camera to a store and try out the TAMRON18-270 or SIGMA 18-250, both are stabilised, and give you a good range, however they wont be as sharp and shorter focal lengths or primes, but they are great when you dont want to keep changing lenses for varying shots
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote