Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:29 AM   #91

What kind of filters should one buy with lenses like 15-85, 17-70, and 17-55 -- "Wide Angle" or normal? I have normal polarizer and UV lenses for my 17-70 and they seem to work fine, even at 17.

I am considering between the 15-85 (suggested by shoturtle) and 17-55 (suggested by peripatetic), and was just wondering about this. I am leaning toward the 17-55 for lower light and portraits -- but might just stick with my trusty 17-70. I have a good copy, and I hear those are not always easy to come by.

Last edited by yohy; Oct 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM.
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:31 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
. . . the 70-300L should be out soon. If not it will be in the stores by jan 2011.
That will be too late for me, unfortunately. Adorama told me November or December, but they were trying to get me to pre-order. I don't trust the fox that the henhouse is secure.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:33 AM   #93

You have the 17-70, then you are fine. I would save the some money and skip the ef-s lens. The only advantage of the 15-85 is that it has a wider angle then either 17mm mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohy View Post
What kind of filters should one buy with lenses like 15-85, 17-70, and 17-55 -- "Wide Angle" or normal? I have normal polarizer and UV lenses for my 17-70 and they seem to work fine, even at 17.

I am considering between the 15-85 (suggested by shoturtle) and 17-55 (suggested by peripatetic), and was just wondering about this. I am leaning toward the 17-55 for lower light and portraits -- but might just stick with my trusty 17-70. I have a good copy, and I hear those are not always easy to come by.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:34 AM   #94

Yeah, it is not in at any of the big shops yet. Normally they make their way to asia then to Europe before making it to the US.

Quote:
That will be too late for me, unfortunately. Adorama told me November or December, but they were trying to get me to pre-order. I don't trust the fox that the henhouse is secure.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:33 PM   #95

Default Filters and Backpack

Bump:
Quote:
Also, any recommendations for a good travel backpack with horizontal access that is low-profile (i.e., not clearly a camera bag)? I was looking at the Lowepro Versapack 200 AW (http://www.adorama.com/LPVP200AWBK.html), and the Lowepro Primus AW (http://www.adorama.com/LPBPPPABL.html). It seems one or both of these may require some modifications to be really useful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95UJjVJP2Y&feature=player_embedded), and I'd be interested in any experience you experts have had with backpacks in the field.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:36 PM   #96

crumpler barge bags are very good also.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:57 PM   #97

Quote:
crumpler barge bags are very good also.
Thanks! Do they have any with horizontal access, or do you need to take the backpack off to take your camera in/out?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:52 PM   #98

If you the quick access you are looking more at a sling backpack instead vs a true backpack. The tamrac evolutions are good, and the the tamrac aero are also good.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:14 PM   #99

Quote:
If you the quick access you are looking more at a sling backpack instead vs a true backpack. The tamrac evolutions are good, and the the tamrac aero are also good.
Thanks. I just checked out the Tamracs. They seem OK, but I don't like that the camera gear can be accessed from the "front" of the backpack -- i.e., a pickpocket can come up behind you, open the pack, and take your gear. The Lowepros have horizontal and top-load access for the bottom half of the bag. The only access from the outside of the bag is the horizontal access compartment.

What about the question of "Wide Angle" versus regular filters. Does either of them hurt performance in the range of the other? In particular: Should I get Wide Angle filters for my 17-70 because it goes to 17?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:26 PM   #100

with quick access, you do give up on some security.

I the lowpros are very good bags also. And quality are about the same. Very good with all the brands mention.

If you are talking about the cpl and ND filters for wide angle. The are design with very short fringes. So you can not put the lens cap on them. If you do get a filter to protect you lenses get a good one with multicoating, B&W or the Hoya pro 1, or Tiffen HT. As you are going to be in the jungle. It will be helpful to have. Normally I do not use a filter, but in the environment you are going, I would most likely have one on. Also get some silica bags to keep suck up the humidity at night form you equipment.