Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:26 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
with quick access, you do give up on some security.

I the lowpros are very good bags also. And quality are about the same. Very good with all the brands mention.

If you are talking about the cpl and ND filters for wide angle. The are design with very short fringes. So you can not put the lens cap on them. If you do get a filter to protect you lenses get a good one with multicoating, B&W or the Hoya pro 1, or Tiffen HT. As you are going to be in the jungle. It will be helpful to have. Normally I do not use a filter, but in the environment you are going, I would most likely have one on. Also get some silica bags to keep suck up the humidity at night form you equipment.
Really? Silica Bags? What are those and how do I get them?

How long do filters last, by the way? Should I replace a filter that is 3 years old?
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:48 PM   #102

Silica packs are little bags with those beads inside. They absorb humidity that can cause fungus on your lenses, bad when that happens. They sell them in camera shops. Pretty cheap.

I have had filters for 15+ years. They do not go bad. But as I said before, get good ones. They impact the shot less then cheapo ones.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:15 PM   #103

Quote:
with quick access, you do give up on some security.

I the lowpros are very good bags also. And quality are about the same. Very good with all the brands mention.
I always appreciate learning what's out there, so please don't take my questions as a sign that I didn't like the Crumple or Tamrac. It was fun checking them out. Thanks for all your great advice.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:19 PM   #104

no problem, I have a lowepro also, crumpler, and tamrac. They are all good bags.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:23 PM   #105

Quote:
Silica packs are little bags with those beads inside. They absorb humidity that can cause fungus on your lenses, bad when that happens. They sell them in camera shops. Pretty cheap.

I have had filters for 15+ years. They do not go bad. But as I said before, get good ones. They impact the shot less then cheapo ones.
I'm confused. Do I need some kind of "housing" to use the silica packs? Do they just go inside the case where the camera is?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:55 PM   #106

nope, just throw it in your camera bag. It is package in a paper cloth like bag.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:14 PM   #107

Default 40D vs. 60D?

Assuming I don't need video, will the 40D be just as good for me as the 60D -- or perhaps even better (e.g., because of the build quality)?

I am weighing whether it really makes sense to get a new camera at this time. Every moment when I am video taping I could be taking really nice pictures. On the other hand, sometimes video is a really great option.

$1100 plus memory cards, etc., is a lot of money to pay for a new camera. That said, the ISO and 18 megapixels may be key in some circumstances (low-light and pp cropping, mainly).

Any thoughts you may have would be very much appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:20 PM   #108

Okay, if you are going into the jungle area, where lighting is not big. The higher iso will really pay off. You will be shooting by moonlight at time. That is the facts of the jungle area.

Also in the wooded area, the trees does a pretty good job of lowing the light level quit a bit. You will most likely need to shoot at 3200 iso at times.

Now if you were going to the Serengeti not as big a issue in the savanna.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:24 PM   #109

Quote:
Okay, if you are going into the jungle area, where lighting is not big. The higher iso will really pay off. You will be shooting by moonlight at time. That is the facts of the jungle area.

Also in the wooded area, the trees does a pretty good job of lowing the light level quit a bit. You will most likely need to shoot at 3200 iso at times.

Now if you were going to the Serengeti not as big a issue in the savanna.
Good point. And my plans might actually change to going to Tanzania (long story) so your Serengeti example is apropos.

Do I understand correctly that you think the megapixels are not an issue -- e.g., to allow for more post-processing?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:38 PM   #110

MP is just a game the brand are playing. Anything around 12mp is more then enough unless you print huge, super large posters.

But iso is important for what you want to do, by the way the Serengeti gets pretty dark at night, but during the day, you have plenty of light even when it is overcast. I have been there also