Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:46 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
MP is just a game the brand are playing. Anything around 12mp is more then enough unless you print huge, super large posters.

But iso is important for what you want to do, by the way the Serengeti gets pretty dark at night, but during the day, you have plenty of light even when it is overcast. I have been there also
Nice. I've been in the Egyptian desert, but not further south.

My 40D has only 10.1mp, so combined with ISO and video, maybe it's time for a change -- or second camera.
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:23 PM   #112

Default Tamron SP AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

OK folks. The Tamron SP AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC appears to be out for Canon. Other than good optical reviews, I like that this lens is internal-focusing and has FTMF -- the former for inconspicuousness, and the latter for versatility.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

YOHY

Last edited by yohy; Nov 5, 2010 at 8:46 PM. Reason: anonymity
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:30 PM   #113

It is a good lens from from nikon reports and has a USD drive, which will make it quite and about the same speed as USM lenses. And it is a little cheaper then the canon version. Both are good lenses. The tamron will save you a little bit of money.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:46 PM   #114

Quote:
It is a good lens from from nikon reports and has a USD drive, which will make it quite and about the same speed as USM lenses. And it is a little cheaper then the canon version. Both are good lenses. The tamron will save you a little bit of money.
OK, I feel dumb because I asked this before, but assuming money is not an object, are the Tamron's newish features that the Canon does not have -- e.g., FTMF -- enough to make it better than the Canon.

What would you do if money were not an option?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:53 PM   #115

FTMF is over rate, I rarely MF. So if you do not use MF allot, it is a feature that is just a feature, not making it better. If I need to MF, I just click the mf/af button, and mf the lens. Not hard to do what so ever.

I would say they are about the same. Pretty equal.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:58 PM   #116

Quote:
FTMF is over rate, I rarely MF. So if you do not use MF allot, it is a feature that is just a feature, not making it better. If I need to MF, I just click the mf/af button, and mf the lens. Not hard to do what so ever.

I would say they are about the same. Pretty equal.
Thanks! I'm guessing FTMF is more important with wider apertures so you can focus carefully in the shallow DOF.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:02 PM   #117

I uses primes all the time, if I want accurate focus. I go to single point. And the canon will get the focus spot on with 1.4 and 1.8 lenses. AF systems are very good now adays. I rarely need to MF for any reason.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:08 AM   #118

No one is reporting objective test data for either the Tamron 70-300 VC or the Sigma 70-300 OS, so it's not clear which is better or how they compare with OEM lenses. Since you probably can't wait, and since money is no object, I suggest you go with your original plan and get the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:00 AM   #119

Default SIgma 50-150 f/2.8 and Tokina 50-135 f/2.8

Thanks for these helpful comments.

If I were to forget about wildlife, but still want a tele zoom for some extra reach on portraits and spontaneous street scenes at a distance, what do you think about:

(1) Sigma 50-150 F/2.8; and
(2) Tokina 50-135 F/2.8

?

It seems like this length will give me a light set up with some nice bokeh at different distances. It seems like this range is similar to a pro camera with 70-200 f/2.8 -- is that right? Of course, there is no IS, but this is a much lighter set-up for f/2.8 speed.

Because these are f/2.8, assuming they are good lenses, I could add a TC x2 for wildlife. How will this hurt the shots? How will that performance be compared to the 70-300 at 250mm (125mm x2)? (of course, I don't expect them to be as good, but on the few occasions where I want the extra zoom, what do you think I can expect?)

I have heard that the Sigma has unreliable QC, and that the Tokina has loud, slow, unreliable AF. According to Lenstip, the Sigma supposedly has issues at 150mm, but is fine at 135mm; meanwhile, the Tokina is supposedly soft at 135mm. The real issue with the Sigma is QC -- how will I (a mere mortal) know that the one I get is a good one? I don't really have a comparator.

Anyway, this route is looking very promising to me because the extra speed plus zoom gives a lot more versatility for marketplaces, portraits, and spontaneous events in lower light. Will I miss the IS?

Please tell me I'm not going mad.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:40 AM   #120

Your question may have been answered for you by Tokina. It seems the Tokina 50-135 is no longer available.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote