Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohy View Post
Straps/Harnesses: In addition to my queries above, anyone have any suggestions about what strap to use -- or maybe even a frontpack-type harness to strap the camera to my torso for ease of movement?

I recall a poster named fstop suggested a great strap, and now I can't find the post.

Other Suggestions?!
Any strap suggestions?
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:57 AM   #12

Will the store let you keep a charger or two there? Perhaps you'd be better off with the BG-E2N vertical grip that can work with AA batteries instead of rechareable batteries. Since your flash uses AA batteries, you'll need ot have plenty around anyway.

For a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I'd get the best gear I could affort, and damn the inconvenience. But if this was the start of a routine, then I'd start worrying about having to lug it around.

BTW, OP/TECH USA has a great selection of neoprene neckstraps. I've used one for years, and am quite happy with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i would probably lean towards the 70-300 since it seems like reach is important to you, and the extra 50mm is nice esp when multiply by 1.6x, plus having the USM high speed AF could be important here.
Do you mean the EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM? This lens looks nice and compact, but expensive. I can afford it, but I feel a bit funny paying more for this than the 70-200 f/4 L with its sharp, fast photos.

Or do you mean the non-DO version, which seems significantly longer.

Of course, 55-250 is lighter (wallet and weight) and smaller than both...

What's the difference in the pictures they take?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I'd get the best gear I could affort, and damn the inconvenience. But if this was the start of a routine, then I'd start worrying about having to lug it around.
Hopefully the start of a routine, but it might be good to get the battery pack alternative if I can't get my solar gear working properly.

Thanks for the great suggestions, TCav.

<sigh> I'm very tempted to get the 70-300 DO lens -- so nice and compact. But the pricetag and narrow aperture are annoying. Anyone have pictures with this lens? What about the 70-300 non-DO and the 55-250?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:19 AM   #15

See PhotoZone.de test results for the two:

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM DO IS

... and while you're at it, see:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

JOOC, since you'll be in the forests, how much opportunity do you think you'll have to use long focal lengths?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:44 AM   #16

yohy, i have the 70-300mm non-DO lens. please look at my flickr for examples. the airshow and the golfing pics were taken with that lens. ignore the fact that i screwed up the prop plane pics with a too fast of a shutter speed
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
JOOC, since you'll be in the forests, how much opportunity do you think you'll have to use long focal lengths?
I'm not totally sure, but I expect that the forests won't be that dense. There should be some tea country as well, which will give me really long distances, and I want to capture the tea workers fully in the frame from a distance. Even in a really dense rainforest (and I will not be in rainforests the whole time or even most of it because I'll be in the hill regions) the tribal settlements will be "clearings" of sorts, and I want to be able to snap a village scene in villages too, from a distance. (This is not the Amazon or Borneo, don't worry )

THANKS for all your advice. I guess the 70-300 is a better lens, but if I want a smaller, lighter one I will have to go with the cheaper 55-50 or the just-as-good-but-pricey DO....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin2307 View Post
yohy, i have the 70-300mm non-DO lens. please look at my flickr for examples. the airshow and the golfing pics were taken with that lens. ignore the fact that i screwed up the prop plane pics with a too fast of a shutter speed
Thanks.... I checked them out. Nice pictures! I am definitely starting toward to lean toward the 70-300 lenses. Seems like a very useful range, and there seem to be no image-stabilized lenses that go over 300mm and are not gargantuan.

The Tokina Zoom Telephoto AF-D 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ATX 840 is pretty compact at only 5.4", but that's not image-stabilized and I'm guessing it can't match up optically.

Last edited by yohy; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:24 PM   #19

Default Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD ... oh, and also Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS?

What about the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_Di.html

Though not yet released for Canon, the specs look good to me -- VC, good AF, motor, full-time manual focus, etc. And the optics seem to have tested well for Nikon.

Any idea when it will be released for Canon?!?

Also, what about the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_DG_OS.html

At 5" long, this lens seems nice and compact for travel. Any thoughts? I did not see a review on photozone...

(The 5.4"-long Tokina Zoom Telephoto AF-D 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ATX 840 also seems interesting for its travel compactness and range, but people below suggested it wouldn't be as good optically, and it's not image stabilized.)

Last edited by yohy; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:16 PM   #20
Super Moderator

i would still advise against the tokina, having that slow of a lens without stabilization will lose you shots.

the tamron is supposed to be a good lens. but still, the canon 70-300 IS is a really nice lens with a very proven track record and image quality that has been shown to be not far off the 70-200 f4, its my opinion that its worth the 100$ over the Tamron.