Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:21 PM   #21

i'm with dustin on this one. i cant say that i have experience with the non-canon lenses, but the 70-300 is really nice and i dont think you would regret paying the extra $ for what you get.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:23 PM   #22

You will not be able to hand hold the 80-400 steady enough. You will have to shot on a tripod for all shots over 200mm. Especially if there is a bit of clouds causing your subject to be over cast a bit

If you are trying to save a bit of money. You can get the 70-300 IS or the 70-200 F4 IS and skip the macro lens, and get a 80 dollar close up lens like the canon 500D lens that mount to the thread of the longer zoom. And go with the 50 1.8 for you portrait.

Here are samples of what to expect with hand help close up with the zoom lens and 500D close up lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...e-up-lens.html
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:01 PM   #23

Thanks for these great comments! Your insights are so very helpful.

Important: I would pay extra for an optically brilliant lens that is compact for travel. Money is not an object for me in this (relatively inexpensive) lens category. That's why I was initially attracted to the Canon 70-300 DO version. It's $1200, but it's small and well-built for travel. Unfortunately: (1) I have seen a couple reviews that say the DO pictures are a bit softer than the regular 70-300 or have poor acutance in some way (I don't want to have to sharpen everything in post processing); and (2) the DO lens cannot accomodate canon extensions on the front.

Back to the regular 70-300 (which seems better optics than the 55-250): I just thought the new Tamron or the Sigma might actually end up being optically better than the Canon. Is that an impossibility? The Tamron has some nice features. The Sigma is more compact than the other lenses, and hence attractive to me -- not for the lower cost, but for size.

It sounds to me like everyone is saying the Canon 70-300 is a superior lens to the Sigma and Tamron. Is this just based on the understanding that Canon lenses are generally superior (e.g., because they are tried and true)? Or is there something to back up the suggestion that the Canon is better? I use photozone.de for reviews, and neither the Tamron nor the Sigma is reviewed there....

Thanks for sticking with me guys. Your suggestions are outstanding, and I hope you don't mind offering more. All the best,

Y Oh Y
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:07 PM   #24

The canon avoids all unforeseen compatibility issues that might arise. Especially with the sigma, as they reverse engineer things instead of getting a lic form canon, nikon and other brands. In the past there were lenses and flashes that had to be sent back to sigma for rechipping and some products were not eligible for rechipping. The sigma OS lens has been out for a while now, over a year, but no one really has tested it. So that can mean something as well, it might just be on par with the canon 70-300 or just a bit behind. If it was a better lens, it most likely would have gotten allot more testing. But the tamron VC looks like a good lens for the nikon reviews. But nothing like mind blowing in image quality over the existing nikon 70-300 lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:13 PM   #25

Now if you were really into money is not an object and will to go to 1300-1500 dollars, the new canon 70-300mm 4-5.6L will most likely out perform all the 70-300mm lenses on the market without thinking twice. But it is a bit bigger lens.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Now if you were really into money is not an object and will to go to 1300-1500 dollars, the new canon 70-300mm 4-5.6L will most likely out perform all the 70-300mm lenses on the market without thinking twice. But it is a bit bigger lens.
Shoturtle, Thanks! Are you referring to the DO lens? That's the only Canon 70-300 I know about that's over $1000, and apparently it is optically inferior and doesn't take extensions. If this is some different, new Canon lens, please let me know what it is!! I can't find it by Googling it.

Last edited by yohy; Oct 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:23 PM   #27
Super Moderator

another review of the 70-300
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/253/cat/11

its about as good as it gets for this class. and while they dont compare it to these new tamron's and sigma's if you look at the review of the more expenisve 70-200 f4 IS, you can see that hte 70-300 IS holds its own very well

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/999/cat/11
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:24 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohy View Post
Shoturtle, Thanks! Are you referring to the DO lens? That's the only Canon 70-300 I know about that's over $1000, and apparently it is optically inferior and doesn't take extensions. If this is some different, new Canon lens, please let me know what it is!! I can't find it by Googling it.
no he is referring to the new "L" designation 70-300, which was just introduced. it will probably be slightly better, but if you look at the links i suggested, it probably will not justify the price and size difference for your needs.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:25 PM   #29

There is a new one not the DO. The L is hands down the best 70-300 on the market. So it will be really sharp at 300mm.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p..._4_5_6l_is_usm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohy View Post
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
another review of the 70-300
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/253/cat/11

its about as good as it gets for this class. and while they dont compare it to these new tamron's and sigma's if you look at the review of the more expenisve 70-200 f4 IS, you can see that hte 70-300 IS holds its own very well

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/999/cat/11
OK, I'm convinced to stick with Canon unless I buy after the Tamron is released (anyone know when that is?) and the reviews are off the charts....

But Hards, now you're making me think about the 70-200 f/4 IS again... everyone seems to love this lens. It doesn't have the extra reach, but man, good optics. On second look, it's long, but not that heavy.... is it fine to handhold?

Last edited by yohy; Oct 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM. Reason: correction