Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:41 PM   #1

Default Lens for Canon T2i - Family Photos

Hi All,

First of all apologies for creating a new thread on T2i lenses but I have gone through all of the existing threads and still unclear.

I'm new to DSLR potography and will be buying a T2i soon but I'm confused about which lens to buy with it.

1.) I'll be using it for indoor and outdoor family pics and portraits (mainly my 2 yr old daughter).

2.) Some people say kit lens is a good start, others say it sucks.

3.) I won't be shooting long range landscape shots but it would be good if I can get a lens that does family pics as well as outdoor landscape shots.

4.) Main goal is super clear, sharp, crisp and WOW pictures.

Price should be decent, not super expensive. Should I buy the body only or along with the kit lens.

Thanks a lot.
smuggymba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:28 PM   #2

Canon 15-85 mm. f/3.5-5.6. Good all around lens. Medium priced (about $700). Reasonable build. EF-S mount (good for the APS-C sensor). But not so much luminous for indoor picks.
You can always get the T2i with a kit lens and trade the lens to get some money back.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:29 PM   #3

I would stick with the kit lenses, a flash good external flash will help with the indoor portraits.

If you are a season dslr user, the kit lenses is a bit lacking. As they are not that fast to focus. But stop down they are pretty sharp.

If you want the super sharp. It can cost allot, a L series lens like the EF 24-70mm 2.8L, but that is a very expensive lens. But there is a 750 option with the ef-s 17-55IS USM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:31 PM   #4

Ordo's lens recommendation is another good option with the ef-s 15-85mm
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:47 PM   #5

Thanks guys. The 15-85mm seems to be $717 on amazon, which is pretty expensive. Any other lens types ppl talk abt which can do the same job for less - Tamron, Sigma etc?

Will 18-135mm do the job for both indoor and outdoor shooting?

Also, is the T2i flash not enough? Thanks for ur time guys.

Last edited by smuggymba; Oct 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:06 PM   #6

well the 18-135 or the kit lens like the 18-55 or the 55-250 are not great low light lens, as they are not that bright. But with the flash I would go with the 18-55 and 55-250 for indoor shooting over the 18-135.

The tamron and sigma 17-50 2.8 is a good lens also, a good choice as well. It is better for now flash indoor shots then the kit lenses
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:10 AM   #7

The trouble with subjective lens opinions is that the pros who shoot with L series lens will see the kit lens as inferior in comparison, while those new to DSLRs will see the kit lens as amazing in comparison. And they are both correct.

From what I have gathered, the only way to see a significant jump in quality would be to purchase the 17-55mm or perhaps the 17-40mm, and these come with a significant price tag to match.

I'd recommend the kit lens and a good external flash like the speedlite 430 or 580. The built-in flash is lacking.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:56 AM   #8

Stick with the kit lens - it's a great bargain. As mentioned, you really have to jump up into expensive lenses to start seeing a difference. Without question, an external flash is a good buy for inside:
first the built in flashes are poor on ALL cameras - they don't have a lot of power and they take a long time to charge AND they are direct light. An external flash will allow for faster shot-to-shot performance, more power (and thus more range) and the ability to bounce the flash off the wall or ceiling so you get more diffuse light.

The only other purchase on top of those two you might consider is if a store offers a kit with the 55-250. That's a pretty good lens but only get it if you are saving money vs. buying it separate. If you're not saving money by buying it as part of a kit then hold off on buying it until you've used the new camera for a while.

You also need to keep your expectations in check. You want "WOW" pictures - wow pictures come from a person who is a good photographer. A DSLR is NOT a magic point and shoot. You don't lay down $1000 and get "WOW" unless you have skill as well. You'll eventually have to move past the kit lens - but there's no sense in buying a more expensive lens now. The reason is: the better lenses are also more restrictive. They cost a lot of money but they're restrictive in their focal range. You really want to buy more expensive lenses with better knowledge of what focal ranges YOUR shooting requires and what aperture values you need. For example, if you start to love portrait work - there are prime lenses that will do a fabulous job - better than a lot of zooms. But because they're fixed focal length they are not jack-of-all-trades lenses. Moving to a DSLR is a process - it's not another point and shoot. Get the camera with kit lens and external flash and learn. After you've learned, then make your next purchase. Purchase too much at first and you end up with expensive paper weights and buyers remorse.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:23 AM   #9

Thanks JohnG, shoturtle, Ordo and iowa_jim for your time.

So, I will be looking for T2i kit + 55-250 (if it comes as a package) and maybe a 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty for my daughters close ups).

I agree learning to shoot with a DSLR is a process and takes time to grasp and learn the whole thing and I'm willing to work towards it.

Are there any "generic" Tamron and Sigma versions of the lens that I just mentioned above? If I can get "similar" lens from tamron and sigma for less, I think that would be great. Just thinking should I pull the trigger now or wait till black friday.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:04 AM   #10

Just pulled the plug and bought a T2i kit and 55-250mm lens with tiffen UV filter from amazon for $874.