Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:46 PM   #11

Thanks for all your quick replies!!
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:48 PM   #12

you are welcome, sorry to hear you lens died just after the warranty. But the lens is not worth fixing, as they will charge you atleast 100 dollars, and new you can pick on up for 150 bucks if you looked.

But the 15-85mm is expensive, but it is almost L lens quality for a crop body lens.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:05 PM   #13

Yes I see that it is expensive. How about the 17-85, it is less money, and I am assuming it is better than the kit lens?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:11 PM   #14

It is not as good as the 15-85, but works it is sharper and AF faster then the kit lens.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbamos View Post
Yes I see that it is expensive. How about the 17-85, it is less money, and I am assuming it is better than the kit lens?

I tried the 17-85 and the Sigma 17-70 back in 2007 (before the Sigma had image stabilizer, which it now does), and I much preferred the results with the Sigma. I bought one, and it takes great shots (better than my friend's 17-85).
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:51 PM   #16

The sig 17-70 is another good option.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The sig 17-70 is another good option.
And at a good price.
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:33 PM   #18

Hello
that lens is really quite a reliable little bugga
try cleaning the contacts with alcohol or very very light sanding down the contacts ( for this i find the eraser at the end of a pencil is pretty good)
however if you do that make sure the dust does not fall into the the end of the lens coz that part is kinda harder to clean. you can even pour a very small portion of alcohol down the af/mf switch and activate is fast back and forth
do not have it connected when you do this
good luck
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deterpawson View Post
Hello
that lens is really quite a reliable little bugga
try cleaning the contacts with alcohol or very very light sanding down the contacts ( for this i find the eraser at the end of a pencil is pretty good)
however if you do that make sure the dust does not fall into the the end of the lens coz that part is kinda harder to clean. you can even pour a very small portion of alcohol down the af/mf switch and activate is fast back and forth
do not have it connected when you do this
good luck
I second the cleaning of the contacts. Dont know about sanding or putting alcohol in the switch but I have had several lenses over the years just all of the sudden decide to quit working in Auto or give an error on focus confirmation. Some good HQ alcohol and a qtip works wonders. Just dip the qtip, squeeze out the excess (just want it damp) and rub over the contacts of the lens. I had a brand new 16-35L that did this intermittantly and after a 30 second clean job of the contacts with alcohol it never did it again. BTW this is also when I found out how worthless a MAC warranty is, had a lens with focus issues, filled out the repair ticket etc, sent it in, they sent it back saying it wasnt covered, cleaned it myself, problem solved.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:40 PM   #20

Well I tried all the above suggestions, did not work. Guess I'll just have to get a new lens