Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:05 PM   #31

No offense taken. But at 3 feet it is only about 1.5 inch difference with the 20% with mark's number. You can actually not have the whole face not in focus actually at 1.4 at 3 feet. So you will most likely need to stop down to get the face in focus.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:13 PM   #32

PS

A 28 or 30mm is a better full body lens then a face shot lens. You will be very close to your subject with the 28 or 30mm. 50mm or 85mm would be better suited for that kind of photos.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
No offense taken. But at 3 feet it is only about 1.5 inch difference with the 20% with mark's number. You can actually not have the whole face not in focus actually at 1.4 at 3 feet. So you will most likely need to stop down to get the face in focus.
Thanks. That makes sense. (That's why I mentioned shooting a person's head from 6', not 3'.) I'm sure I will learn a lot from just fooling around. Seems like the 1.4 has more fooling-around room. The tests suggests it is not only better at 1.4, but also at 1.8 and even 5.6. From what I've read, the two lenses seem to converge after that, and the Canon works better at f/8 or so....

Last edited by yohy; Nov 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM.
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:23 PM   #34

Quote:
PS

A 28 or 30mm is a better full body lens then a face shot lens. You will be very close to your subject with the 28 or 30mm. 50mm or 85mm would be better suited for that kind of photos.
That makes sense. Will the close range distort/stretch out the person's face? i.e., if I'm sitting next to someone at the dinner table, and snap them laughing from 2 feet away? (Yes, I know it would be stopped down, but again, the Sigma outperforms the canon at 1.8 and 2.8 as well, and reaches sweet spot at ~f/5.6 instead of ~f/8.)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:34 PM   #35

they are both good lens, you really can not go wrong with either on aps-c
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:58 PM   #36

Default Filter for the lens?

What kind of filter would you use on this kind of lens indoors? UV? Polarizer? Warming?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:59 PM   #37

nada most of the time. ND for outdoor work, cpl for outdoor work, skip the UV it is useless. A Haze 1 is a good simple warming filter.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:03 PM   #38

Quote:
nada most of the time. ND for outdoor work, cpl for outdoor work, skip the UV it is useless. A Haze 1 is a good simple warming filter.
Thanks!

When do you use the warming filter?

Also, doesn't the UV protect the lens -- i.e., won't the lens last longer with a filter on it?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:01 PM   #39

that is what they sell the UV filter for, but it degrades image quality. Increase the chances of ghosting and flares greatly.

I use the Haze 1 to protect the lens when in harsh environments like very sandy places, high dust area, or seaspray at the beach. But when shooting normally, I do not use a filter.

When the light is a bit cold, very blue, a warming filter blocks some of the blur warming up the shot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:18 PM   #40

Quote:
When the light is a bit code, very blue, a warming filter blocks some of the blue warming up the shot.
Thanks. Funny you should say this, given the avatar I just posted.