Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:21 PM   #1

Default T1i and Quantaray 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Tech 10 CN AF

Anyone out there use one of these lenses with their T1i? If so how well does it work? Thanks.
NGC2392Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:09 PM   #2

"Quantaray" are Sigma lenses sold through Ritz/Wolf Camera Stores. It's not bad for an inexpensive lens, but if you can afford it the Canon 50-250IS is better, and if you can't the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is about as good and it's cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3

With a nice camera like a T1i, I would not go cheap o with the Quantaray. I have had the Quantaray, the Tamron as Tcav stated, and currenty the 55-250mm....The 70-300 is a good buy, I find the Canon 55-250mm somewhat sharper,,,,you can get the tamron for around $120 on ebay, the canon for $200 ish...i would stay away from the Quantaray lens. If your on a budget, get the Tamron like tcav says,,,,
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
With a nice camera like a T1i, I would not go cheap o with the Quantaray. I have had the Quantaray, the Tamron as Tcav stated, and currenty the 55-250mm....The 70-300 is a good buy, I find the Canon 55-250mm somewhat sharper,,,,you can get the tamron for around $120 on ebay, the canon for $200 ish...i would stay away from the Quantaray lens. If your on a budget, get the Tamron like tcav says,,,,

Thanks for the advice. I should clarify that I already have the lens. It was given to me for free. I don't have the T1i yet. I do plan to get the 55-250mm Canon IS lens with it as well as the 18-55mm kit lens. I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually used one with a T1i. After I get the camera I plan to give it a try.
NGC2392Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGC2392Eskimo View Post
Thanks for the advice. I should clarify that I already have the lens. It was given to me for free. I don't have the T1i yet. I do plan to get the 55-250mm Canon IS lens with it as well as the 18-55mm kit lens. I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually used one with a T1i. After I get the camera I plan to give it a try.
I had one, and it was my first lens, because of my budget, sounds like you. It did work fine, you will get better, sharper images with the canon combo, but the Quantaray is not a bad inexpensive choice to learn on....I went from that to a Tamron 70-300 xr di, and then finally settled on the two canon kits lens, and a 50mm and 85mm for indoor sports....just takes time to add on, depending on what type of shooting you do..
good luck

Last edited by Mark2009; Oct 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote