Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:33 PM   #1

Default APS-C: Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 vs. Tokina 50-135 f/2.8

I know the Tokina is discontinued, but do people have experience or knowledge about these two lenses? I have heard that the Sigma has unreliable QC (never know whether you'll get a good copy), and that the Tokina has loud, slow, unreliable AF. According to Lenstip, the Sigma supposedly has issues at 150mm, but is fine at 135mm. Meanwhile, the Tokina is supposedly soft at 135mm.

The Sigma is also lighter, which may come in handy due to lack of IS. But then again the Sigma has no tripod mount, while the Tokina does.

How well will a teleconverter (x2 or x1.4) work on these lenses? Will this make the lens too long on the Sigma given lack of tripod mount?

It seems like Sigma and Tokina are onto something here: A very light 70-200 f/2.8 equivalent for APS-C amateur street/photojournalism photographers. Where is Canon in this segment?!? Seems like they're asleep at the wheel.

Last edited by yohy; Nov 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM.
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the sigma 50-150 2.8 has been one of their better lenses, and has not seen some of the qc issues that some lenses have. i really think that is a safe bet in the sigma line.

the HSM quiet and fast focus really make the sigma the better choice here, they are similar sharpness for the most part.

the size, and the fast AF really makes the sigma the better choice here.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:00 PM   #3

LensRentals stopped carrying this lens in volume because they had trouble getting good copies. When you get a good copy, it should work well, but you may want to get one soon in case you need to return it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
LensRentals stopped carrying this lens in volume because they had trouble getting good copies. When you get a good copy, it should work well, but you may want to get one soon in case you need to return it.

TCav - great find. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the sigma 50-150 2.8 has been one of their better lenses, and has not seen some of the qc issues that some lenses have. i really think that is a safe bet in the sigma line.

the HSM quiet and fast focus really make the sigma the better choice here, they are similar sharpness for the most part.

the size, and the fast AF really makes the sigma the better choice here.
Hards -- Thanks for this review. I think you are right that this is the better choice given the AF and extra reach. Also, they do seem to have similar sharpness -- at least up to 135mm, which is the only fair comparison, and the Sigma obviously does better at 135-150mm.

Last edited by yohy; Nov 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:14 PM   #6

I can't speak to the Sigma, but I do own the Tokina 50-135. It is built like a tank and the glass is superb throughout it's range. I regularly use it with my Kenko 1.4 Pro 300 DGX extender and have been extremely happy with the results. With my 7D the 50-135 is tack sharp and I would highly recommend getting one if you can.
I have plenty of examples on my Flickr page at flickr.com/photos/bobshrader and here specifically. flickr.com/photos/bobshrader/5116988769/ and
flickr.com/photos/bobshrader/5142300721/d

Last edited by shadokachr; Nov 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
I can't speak to the Sigma, but I do own the Tokina 50-135. It is built like a tank and the glass is superb throughout it's range. I regularly use it with my Kenko 1.4 Pro 300 DGX extender and have been extremely happy with the results. With my 7D the 50-135 is tack sharp and I would highly recommend getting one if you can.
I have plenty of examples on my Flickr page at flickr.com/photos/bobshrader and here specifically. flickr.com/photos/bobshrader/5116988769/ and
flickr.com/photos/bobshrader/5142300721/d
Beautiful pictures. I'd love to try them side by side.