Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:44 AM   #1

Default Handholding Lenses with 60D (w/ or w/o Grip-Battery Pack)

How easy would it be to handhold a 60D with a Sigma 50-150 lens on it?

Would having the grip/battery pack on the camera help?
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:28 AM   #2

Can you go to a good camera shop and try it out?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:32 AM   #3

You can also buy a camera hand grip strap (if you do not intend to use a tripod or a monopod).
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:53 AM   #4

Are you talking ergonomics or weight? if you're not used to a lens that heft, you have to get used to it. BUT, the key with heavier telephoto lenses is supporting the structure with your left hand on the lens, not your right hand - that may be a bit different technique than you're used to. Battery grip vs. non to me is a general ergonomics / weight decision. If you have bigger hands then a battery grip is going help regardless of the lens. But if you have small hands and weight is an issue the combination of lens plus battery pack will take getting used to.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Are you talking ergonomics or weight? if you're not used to a lens that heft, you have to get used to it. BUT, the key with heavier telephoto lenses is supporting the structure with your left hand on the lens, not your right hand - that may be a bit different technique than you're used to. Battery grip vs. non to me is a general ergonomics / weight decision. If you have bigger hands then a battery grip is going help regardless of the lens. But if you have small hands and weight is an issue the combination of lens plus battery pack will take getting used to.
I actually was talking about both weight (to counterbalance the zoom lens), which may be more important once I get a 70-200 2.8, and size (I have big hands). Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:53 PM   #6

That combo should be a piece of cake to hand hold, especially when you see people doing it with a 300 2.8 or 200 2.8. Correct techniques, as john said helps. I have my left hand under the glass at the point of balance with elbow of my left arm tucked to my chest allow the back of my left arm to make contact with my chest thereby transferring the load off of my arms for holding it up, otherwise it doesnt really matter what you try to shoot with, its going to get heavy eventually.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
That combo should be a piece of cake to hand hold, especially when you see people doing it with a 300 2.8 or 200 2.8. Correct techniques, as john said helps. I have my left hand under the glass at the point of balance with elbow of my left arm tucked to my chest allow the back of my left arm to make contact with my chest thereby transferring the load off of my arms for holding it up, otherwise it doesnt really matter what you try to shoot with, its going to get heavy eventually.

Thanks. Good to know. I've never had a long or heavy lens. I tried to keep things light in the street at dusk by getting the 50-150 (arrives this week). If the 70-200 2.8 will work with the right technique, the 50-150 should be easy.

I think I may get the grip anyway -- just for the extra shutter button, battery life, and hand fit. I was just wondering if it would be useful in other ways.... sparked by the exigency that my tripod happens to be backordered.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Last edited by yohy; Nov 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:05 PM   #8

Personally I like the feel of the body better with a grip. Im so used to the 1D Bodies that when I pick up my wifes 50D I feel like im holding a toy. I cant live without a vertical shutter release and speed control. Well I could but wouldnt like it very much
I regularly shoot a 1D MKIV with a 70-200 2.8L IS II attached for extended periods with no hassles. Every now and again I get brave with the 200 2.0L but after that Im using a monopod in the least and prefer a tripod with a gimbal head for the 400 2.8 and up.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote