Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 25, 2003, 9:21 AM   #1

Default Canon EF 75-300mm Question

Hello,

Im just curious, and I guess I just felt like starting a topic. But I was wondering if there was a sweetspot for this lens? Ive noticed lots of other lenses people say has this really good sweet spot. But basicly, I just wanted to find out what people have had good results with.

I was thinking maybe like 200mm-250mm at f/8ish might be really good ay? I want my pictures to be as sharp as they can be without killing DOF too much.

But maybe I read something wrong but makes sense to me I guess. The bigger the fstop (ie: 1.4-1.8) the faster the shutter you can get, but the loss of sharpness and details are the bottleneck of it? Im just curious.

I am also looking for a good lens say hmmmz.... 28(or wider)-70ishmm lens with a good stop. Would not like to go more then say $300.oo Is there anything out there? I like the 50mm from Canon for 70 bucks. But just cant find one... :?
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:01 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
But maybe I read something wrong but makes sense to me I guess. The bigger the fstop (ie: 1.4-1. the faster the shutter you can get, but the loss of sharpness and details are the bottleneck of it? Im just curious.
Most lenses are quite soft when wide open (ie it's like pushing their limit), and perform best when stop-down a few stops...

An f/1.4 with two stops down is optimum at its f/2.8 onward.
An f/2.8 -> becomes an f/5.6... However when one starts at f/5.6, two stops down is now f/11 which is OK under ideal condition, but most of the time it's too slow for most action shots when not under bright sun (or for wildlife under shady trees)!

This is mainly why larger aperture lenses are more 'useful' (but heavier), and also provide with better control of DOF... Large lenses also cost more especially when their aperture remain constant, ie the shutter speeds/EV values do not vary when one zooms (especially when indoor with studio flash or when the camera is on manual)...

Quote:
I am also looking for a good lens say hmmmz.... 28(or wider)-70ishmm lens with a good stop. Would not like to go more then say $300.oo Is there anything out there?
Have you check Tokina? They have the most affordable constant f/2.8 in that range... Sigma also has a 24-70 f/2.8 but is not HSM, but it's still highline EX though!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
I am also looking for a good lens say hmmmz.... 28(or wider)-70ishmm lens with a good stop. Would not like to go more then say $300.oo Is there anything out there? I like the 50mm from Canon for 70 bucks. But just cant find one...
Try www.samys.com ... I got mine there
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote