Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
nikon is more expensive in germany as well, no reason for the price difference really. Kinda strange.

But if you are going to make the switch, sell all the nikon equipment and pick up a 500D at the same time you get your other gear. So you will have a backup right away. Body fail is not something you want in the middle of a shoot without a backup, and it will let you keep using the proper lens.
Thanks for the advice shoturtle. Thats a good advice. Ill think of it.

Best regards/Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Different camera pricing in different markets is very odd.

Nikon is (relative to US prices) slightly more expensive in the UK. Certainly Canon seems to be better value-for-money here.

But in South Africa (where I have a lot of family) Canon is nearly twice the price of Nikon. (Well last time I looked anyway.)
Yeah, I agree. Its very strange with the price difference in different countries.

Bst regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 5:01 PM   #12

I have the 7D and the same lens you picked except I have the 50mm 1.8 and I also have the Tokina 11-14 2.8...the 70-200 f/4L is awesome...the 100-400 AKA Dust Pump is a favorite...17-55 great...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
Thanks for the advice shoturtle. Thats a good advice. Ill think of it.

Best regards/Daniel

Yeah, I agree. Its very strange with the price difference in different countries.

Bst regards/Daniel
I can understand & sympathize with your predicament ... here in the middle east DSLR's & lenses are priced outragiously without any benefit. Here, the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II lens costs USD 4000 ... so I shop from an online store in USA and got the same lens for 2100 (including shipping). So, you may want to consider buying Nikon lenses online (that is if you prefer sticking with Nikon) ... personally I like and use Canon.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
I have the 7D and the same lens you picked except I have the 50mm 1.8 and I also have the Tokina 11-14 2.8...the 70-200 f/4L is awesome...the 100-400 AKA Dust Pump is a favorite...17-55 great...
Great thing to hear! Thanks for that

Best regards/Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
I can understand & sympathize with your predicament ... here in the middle east DSLR's & lenses are priced outragiously without any benefit. Here, the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II lens costs USD 4000 ... so I shop from an online store in USA and got the same lens for 2100 (including shipping). So, you may want to consider buying Nikon lenses online (that is if you prefer sticking with Nikon) ... personally I like and use Canon.
Hello! Thanks for your answer. It strange that there is such price difference.
Unfortenately it will be very expensive for me to order from USA. I will have to pay both shipment, taxes and customs. You know, Sweden is the land of customs
We have to pay customs for everything, and then we have to pay customs on the customs sometimes too.
Thanks for the advice though.
Ill might be checking out the prices on lenses in England though.

But Im still going to change to Canon though. I was at the Swedish Photo fair yesterday and had a look, and felt on the Canon 7D. Man did it feel great.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
Great thing to hear! Thanks for that

Best regards/Daniel

Hello! Thanks for your answer. It strange that there is such price difference.
Unfortenately it will be very expensive for me to order from USA. I will have to pay both shipment, taxes and customs. You know, Sweden is the land of customs
We have to pay customs for everything, and then we have to pay customs on the customs sometimes too.
Thanks for the advice though.
Ill might be checking out the prices on lenses in England though.

But Im still going to change to Canon though. I was at the Swedish Photo fair yesterday and had a look, and felt on the Canon 7D. Man did it feel great.

Best regards/Daniel
You are wlcome.
Yeah I understand "customs" very well coz I'm actually from India (but I work in the middle east) and in India the customs duty charge is exactly the actual value of the product and then you have to add VAT, taxes, service tax blah blah blah.
In the middle east there is no such hassle as there are no taxes here but once in a while they do charge 2% customs duty charge, which is negligable.
But coming back to the topic, yes I agree that 7D is an awsome camera ... for lens selection you can see my signature below ... that is my current gear and having used them, I recommend every single one of them ... but I sold Sigma 150mm Macro lens, it was a great lens but after using my friend's Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro lens, the Sigma felt inferior in every aspect, so I just placed an order (just yesterday) for Cannon 100mm L IS & also the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ... I should have them delivered within the next 2 days.
Having used 12 different Sigma, Tamron & Tokina lenses I can confidently say that none of them come close to what the Canon lenses can deliver.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Dustin, seriously stop writing at the same time as me

I was initially going to say keep with Nikon then completely forgot to mention it. If I was starting now I would very likely go Nikon but I'm very heavily invested now in Canon so no change for me.

I would also be going Nikon D700 for weddings..... this will knock your socks off for quality with the right glass.
Mark where would the Nikon D700 have the advantage over the 5D II? from what I see is that almost all big time pros Jerry Ghionis, Yervont, and I can name others but I think you know use the 5D II
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote