Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Lenses for Canon EOS 7D?

Hello!

I am shooting with a Nikon D5000 today, but I have started my own business where I will try to work as a photographer.

So I have decided to buy a Canon EOS 7D and some lenses.

The reason for me to change to Canon is that today I have only 1 expensive lens to my Nikon, and because Canon have a lot more pricy pro lenses than Nikon.

I am shooting events, portraits, weddings, sports (mostly outdoors), nature, animals and pets, documentary etc. So I need a versatile camera and lenses to go with it.

This is the lenses I have been thinking of. What do you think of it? Would these be good for my purpose?

*Canon EF 50 f1,4 USM (For weddings, portraits and lowlight stuff)
*Canon EF-S 17-55 f2,8 IS USM (For weddings, portraits, events and general shooting)
*Canon EF 70-200 f4 L USM (For outdoor sports, portraits, events)
*Canon EF 100-400 f4,5-5,6 L IS USM (For outdoor sports, animal and nature shooting)

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you know, i think i would disagree with your logic here.

if you went with another Nikon body, then you have 2 camera bodies which you can use, which will be a huge bonus when shooting especially weddings.

why not consider adding the Nikon D7000, then for your weddings you can have the short zoom on 1 body and longer zoom on another. and have a backup, because inevitably somethings break, just ask Mark1616, him having a backup body saved him in a recent weddings.

you can still get the lenses you need as well.

Nikon 17-55 2.8 for your fast normal lens.
Nikon 50 1.4G
Nikon 70-200 2.8 or even Sigma 70-200 2.8 to save money. i think you will want the 2.8 over the 4 for faster shutter speeds to stop movement and selective dof for weddings, etc.
Nikon 200-400 for wildlife, or Sigma 50-500 OS to save money.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I love spending other peoples money

First questions, what is your budget, which areas do you want to focus on initially as probably you won't be able to do it all?

Next, shooting pro you will want 2 of everything, even if not the same standard so a 7D and a 500D for example. Flash x 2 and the main focal lengths doubled up (I was at a wedding recently when I had a lens failure but was able to keep shooting with my backup). This will obviously affect the budget so again why it is important to know where you want to focus initially.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Dustin, seriously stop writing at the same time as me

I was initially going to say keep with Nikon then completely forgot to mention it. If I was starting now I would very likely go Nikon but I'm very heavily invested now in Canon so no change for me.

I would also be going Nikon D700 for weddings..... this will knock your socks off for quality with the right glass.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Dustin, seriously stop writing at the same time as me

I was initially going to say keep with Nikon then completely forgot to mention it. If I was starting now I would very likely go Nikon but I'm very heavily invested now in Canon so no change for me.

I would also be going Nikon D700 for weddings..... this will knock your socks off for quality with the right glass.
LOL :P

yea, the D700 is obviously the best choice, amazingly clean high iso images for both wedding/sports work. i just going by the initial plan and trying to not be over that budget by too many multiples. :P
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you know, i think i would disagree with your logic here.

if you went with another Nikon body, then you have 2 camera bodies which you can use, which will be a huge bonus when shooting especially weddings.

why not consider adding the Nikon D7000, then for your weddings you can have the short zoom on 1 body and longer zoom on another. and have a backup, because inevitably somethings break, just ask Mark1616, him having a backup body saved him in a recent weddings.

you can still get the lenses you need as well.

Nikon 17-55 2.8 for your fast normal lens.
Nikon 50 1.4G
Nikon 70-200 2.8 or even Sigma 70-200 2.8 to save money. i think you will want the 2.8 over the 4 for faster shutter speeds to stop movement and selective dof for weddings, etc.
Nikon 200-400 for wildlife, or Sigma 50-500 OS to save money.
Hello!
Well, as I said, there are much more cheaper pro lenses to Canon than to Nikon. At least here in Sweden Nikon lenses and even camera houses are really expensive. There is also alot of Canon lenses on the used market.
So there is my biggest reason to change to Canon. To be able to get quality lenses at a reasonible price.

If I would by similar lenses as the Canon suggestions I mentioned above, it would cost me about 4200-4300 dollars more.
Also the Canon 7D is only a little bit more expensive than the Nikon D7000.

My wife will also move over to Canon as soon as possible in that case and so we will buy another house that I can use as a backup anyway. Until then we have the D5000 as a backup.

I also have a close friend who is a professional photographer since 15 years that shoot canon. So I will be able to borrow lenses and flashes etc. from him in the beginning. He will also work as my mentor.

Best regards/Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I love spending other peoples money

First questions, what is your budget, which areas do you want to focus on initially as probably you won't be able to do it all?

Next, shooting pro you will want 2 of everything, even if not the same standard so a 7D and a 500D for example. Flash x 2 and the main focal lengths doubled up (I was at a wedding recently when I had a lens failure but was able to keep shooting with my backup). This will obviously affect the budget so again why it is important to know where you want to focus initially.
Hi Mark!

Im not sure about my budget right now, but the goal is to buy two houses. One for my wife as well, that I can borrow when needed. Im going to focus on events and documentary photo. Weddings will not be a big part of my work.

Best regards/Daniel

Last edited by DSProtection; Nov 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:43 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Ah. ok Daniel, didn't realize Canon was that much cheaper and available there, they are pretty equal here.

your lens selection looks pretty good, but i think you will want the 70-200 in 2.8, even without IS, for sports and portraits/events. and there should be a number of 70-200 2.8 without IS on the used market to choose from around the same price as the f4IS
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Ah. ok Daniel, didn't realize Canon was that much cheaper and available there, they are pretty equal here.

your lens selection looks pretty good, but i think you will want the 70-200 in 2.8, even without IS, for sports and portraits/events. and there should be a number of 70-200 2.8 without IS on the used market to choose from around the same price as the f4IS
Ahh! Thats okey

Yeah, I dont know why the Nikon lenses are that expensive in Sweden. Its a shame because I really like Nikon.
But on the other hand, Canon does good stuff too

Yeah, I was considering the 70-200 f2,8 used, but after reading in differnt groups in Flickr I thought that the 70-200 f4 with IS would be a better choice. But it would shure be nice to have the extra dof with the f2,8.

Ill hope I find one for a good price. I have seen them pretty cheap before.

Thanks for the tip.

Best regards/Daniel
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:40 PM   #9

nikon is more expensive in germany as well, no reason for the price difference really. Kinda strange.

But if you are going to make the switch, sell all the nikon equipment and pick up a 500D at the same time you get your other gear. So you will have a backup right away. Body fail is not something you want in the middle of a shoot without a backup, and it will let you keep using the proper lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:51 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Different camera pricing in different markets is very odd.

Nikon is (relative to US prices) slightly more expensive in the UK. Certainly Canon seems to be better value-for-money here.

But in South Africa (where I have a lot of family) Canon is nearly twice the price of Nikon. (Well last time I looked anyway.)