Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:57 PM   #1

Default 70 - 200 2.8 IS used lens INCREASING in value

Something quite interesting is going on with a great lens.

For several years Canon made the 70-200 IS 2.8f lens and just about everyone spoke highly of it.

If you wanted a used version of this lens, about 18 months ago, you could find them in good to great shape for $1,000 - $1,200.

Now, Canon has introduced the updated 70-200 IS 2.8F USM. It's price tag is significantly higher than the model it replaced.

This higher price tag has caused an increase in the demand for the USED version of the previous lens. Now, the prior lens, used in good to great shape is $400 - $500 more expensive than it was 18 months ago.

There's no rocket science here. I just find it interesting that a used lens has gone up in value, not down in value by the introduction of a more expensive replacement version. Most of the time, a item goes down in value when a bigger & better version is introduced. Not this time.

Good luck to all you looking for a good used 70-200 IS 2.8 they are becoming more and more scarce every day.

Love to hear from someone who has upgraded from the old model to the USM model. What improvements have you noticed?

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:00 PM   #2

To clarify - USM existed in the old model as well. So it isn't something new in the version II of the lens. The reported differences are:
increased IS performance
increased sharpness due to re-designed elements (not unlike the 70-200 f4 IS was sharper than the non-IS version). I would be interested to hear from anyone that upgraded though to see if they confirm.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:23 PM   #3

Im a bit confused.
The used price of the original version of this went up on the used market prior to the release of the verII due to an increase in retail pricing by Canon. Then went back down when the verII was released. I never saw one go for $1200 though that wasnt beat up. Current used market the original verion in mint condition is fetching about $1400.

I did make the upgrade and yes it was worth it. The IS gives at least another stop of performance but the image quality is what sold me. I really liked the original and was hesitant to buy the verII as I was a bit skeptical. Im glad I finally caved in. One of the sharpest lenses in my collection was a 135 f2L but after getting the verII of the 70-200 I sold it as the new 70-200 produced similar IQ images at 135mm.
The new version is by far the sharpest zoom lens I have ever used across the entire range and the bokeh is very pleasing. Ill drag up some samples and post later.

Bottom line is ITS WORTH IT!

The market is still saturated with the original version. You must be looking in the worng places.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:08 PM   #4

I bought my 70-200 2.8f IS about 14 months ago from Roberts in Indianapolis for $1100 used. The glass was in great shape, the outside of the lens showed a little wear from the mounting ring. The hood was scraped up, but certainly good enough to use.

Now, Roberts is selling that same model for $1500 and it's in much worse condition than mine.

Why the increase in price?

It's because the newest version of the 70-200 f2.8 IS is substantially higher than its predecessor. Since the new version is several hundred dollars more than the older version, more people are opting for a used older model, rather than spending the bigger dollars for the newest model.

Since the newest model is much more expensive than the old model. there's an increase in demand for the old model thus pushing it's price up!
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:47 PM   #5

Maybe this is the reasoning that this vendor gave you. $1100 sounds like a decent deal on that lens but a beater will still fetch $1150-$1200 on the used market. I can link many for sale now around the $1400 range in mint condition, I sold mine about a month ago for $1450.
Personal experience having just sold a MKI version and buying a new MKII version shows different (in the used market in other forums). I have seen a few trying to pull this ploy but the bottom line is these two lenses are a lot different. The IS has been replaced with a newer version at the bottom of the list and at the top a total redesign of the optics gaining a flourite element and loosing another in the total count. Just an FYI there Ill bet he is trying to sell the soon to be replaced 300 2.8 etc for an inflated price using the same reasoning.......There are plenty trying that too, Ive seen a 500 f4 thats been up for sale for over 2 months now and the seller isnt budging (using the same reasoning) even though several have come along and sold for far less since he listed.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:38 PM   #6

Amazon shows the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM available $1300. New. Not sure why you'd pay $1500 for a used one. Am I missing something?
uppermeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppermeadows View Post
Amazon shows the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM available $1300. New. Not sure why you'd pay $1500 for a used one. Am I missing something?
That would be the non IS version that goes for $1000-$1100 on the used market.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:07 AM   #8

Default 70-200

I had the non-IS version of this lens before buying the new IS II version. My non-IS lens was very sharp when used on a tripod. The biggest difference is when hand holding. The IS II version of this lens is the best lens I have owned and was worth the high price. I have also owned the 135L, 200L, 100L macro and this lens is the best of the bunch. The new version of the IS works great.
Doug Vann is offline   Reply With Quote