Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:12 AM   #1

Default Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or had the chance to use this new lens yet? It sounds like a good lens, but just can't find much about it.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:30 PM   #2

Default I will be getting one

Hello, I will be getting this lens for Christmas so I will let you know what I think of it. I was not aware it is a new lens, from what I have been able to learn, it's considered pretty good.
Peggyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3

The 70-300 4-5.6 IS has been around for around five years.
The "L" version is new and pricier.
Here is a brief review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-Review.aspx
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:13 AM   #4

Default I bought one today

Hi Mugmar

I just bought the lens today. Tried it on Saturday at the shop (went to two shops to 'try'). Was 'sold' on it. Got a good deal (with 67mm CPL filter).

Will be posting my photos and impression of it shortly. Keep an eye on this forum!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:37 PM   #5

Cool. Congrats PJ all I've found lately on it has been fantastic. Just waiting for the budget to allow it
Thanks for being a "guinea pig" for the rest of us!!
Looking forward to seeing your shots and hearing your opinion.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:17 AM   #6

Im eagerly awaiting more information on this glass. Right now there are mixed feelings in the pro world with this addition to the L lens lineup. There just isnt any real information out there yet and ther MTF charts dont show any real improvement over the non L version.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:16 PM   #7

@Mugmar - Thanks for your congrats. I'll be a good guinea pig and will post some more samples up soon (should be more 'useful' than the first photos I posted).

@Justin - MTF charts are a theoretical maximum, and do not show every aspect of a lens' abilities. However L's MTF is more favourable than non L. Photozone posted a review. http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/57...300f456islapsc
My experience mirrors the findings there compared to non L version: sharper wide open (corner to corner), better contrast, faster & highly accurate focus, superior IS, etc. Build quality of the new L is great.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:12 AM   #8

I read the review you posted.......Best I can say is inconclusive. They tested on a APS-C body and reported slight vignetting, CA and barrel distortion. I have no doubts that its better than the non L version, just contemplating is it a good option over other L glass and is it worth the extra $1K over its non L cousin.Canon reports that it is targeted at APS-C owners, what about the FF and APS-H? How will it perform on those? Wondering what would produce a better image at the long end, this or a 70-200 2.8L IS II with the image cropped or with a 1.4TC? I already know the answer to the short end.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:49 AM   #9

The 70-300mm L review is not inconclusive to me... that is, it is conclusive! Furthermore my actual use of this lens is the same as Photozone's findings. I'm not saying it's a perfect lens (it would be great if it was a constant f2.8) - but it would be a lot bigger & much more expensive.

All lenses have 'some' degree of vignetting, CA & barrel distortion. So I don't know why you mentioned that; your statement is non-comparative.

On an APS-C body, the 70-300 L shows less max vignetting than: 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II, 100-400mm L & 70-300mm non L.
The 70-300mm L has somewhat more CA than the other two L's (but all are low) - the non L has higher CA at 300mm. The 70-300mm L also has higher distortion (again, not really bad, and for tele lenses not as field relevant as ultra wide angle lenses).
Sharpness, the 70-300mm L beats the non L in all ranges, especially wide open at max zoom, and from varied accounts and reports, seems to give the 100-400mm L a run for its money, if not beating it. The 70-200mm is somewhat sharper.

However the most important thing for my consideration (why I purchased it) is: can I use it as a tool to capture images I want? The answer is a resounding "yes"! Today I went out to 2 wetlands areas - both a few minutes from my home, and enjoyed capturing photos - mainly of the variety of ducks that were there at that time in the evening. I'll post some photos up another time (it's getting bed time here Down Under!)

I've read a number of other user's reports of these various lenses, and when noting the comparisons of the Canon 70-300mm L to other lenses (e.g. the Tamron 70-300mm USD VC, the non L Canon, etc) - I was convinced it was the best for my needs.

Using my new lens this evening reitterated to me how much I love the 70-300mm zoom range (of course I'd like a 500mm reach!) I've used the Sigma 150-500mm and 50-500mm lenses and these didn't have either the contrast or the sharpness that my 70-300mm L has. Furthermore the OS and focus on the Sigmas were not as confident nor quick as the Canon's.

The price certainly has to be weighed up. I could have waited another year and probably saved a few hundred dollars but as with my Canon 7D, (which I bought a year ago) - I wanted to buy the gear to use in our summer season (in Australia).

While the Canon 70-300mm L might be optomised and targetted at APS-C owners, I'm sure it is still very capable for FF and APS-H cameras, just the edges & corners (esp on a FF) do not appear to be as sharp as the centre of the lens.

What would produce a better image, the 70-300mm L or the 70-200 f2.8 L II with a 1.4 TC? In most cases about sharpness it might be the f2.8 w 1.4 TC, but in some cases the 70-300mm L might trump that combination in other qualitative aspects (a TC has varied effects). However the factors for consideration using a 70-200 f2.8 II with 1.4 TC are: less zoom flexibility, much more weight, and another $1000 just for the f2.8 lens PLUS you've still got to buy the 1.4 TC! I did consider that option, but decided to go with the 70-300mm L.

Cheers

Paul
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10

Im glad you are happy with it.
Im still a bit on the non convinced side so Ill stick with my 70-200 and 1.4 for now should I need that range. If I stay on the long end I have a prime collection that blows all the zooms out of the water.....200 f2L, 300 2.8L and 400 2.8L...Havent seen the need to get any longer glass like the 500L or the 600L and I just dont ever see the need for the 800L.

All of the Sigmas in this range are substandard IMO. I have never seen any of them produce sharp contrasty images.