Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Good budget system for family photos?

My brother has a baby on the way, and my mom is thinking about getting him and his wife a lens for his XTi. He's had the XTi with kit lens (I don't recall if the XTis came with the 18-55 IS or the old one) for probably a year and a half or so, so I imagine he's pretty familiar with it. He'd probably be taking mostly candid shots (indoor and out, he lives in Florida), and maybe a more staged shot here and there. Nothing serious, just for memories and good diy photos.

So, my mom asked me what lenses she should look at for him, but she's not looking to break the bank. I was originally looking trying to decide if she should go for a macro/portrait lens (I've heard that the 60mm macro and the 100mm 2.8 Macro do wonderful portraiture), but I didn't know how good that would be for catching candid shots as the baby becomes a toddler, etc. But, I think these were a little more expensive than she was looking at.

My next thought was a good zoom to couple with the kit lens, like the 70-300 IS (that I myself want, but is also probably more expensive than she wants), which lead me to the current setup I'm thinking of proposing to her.

How would a 50mm 1.8 and 55-250 IS pair together with the 18-55 XTi kit lens for a system of lenses for documenting a new family? I was thinking the nifty fifty would be great for indoor stuff, as well as allowing him to isolate his child with a nice shallow DOF for wall-hangers, and the 55-250 IS might be pretty good for outdoor stuff and when the kiddo starts to grow up and play around on his/her own and whatnot. More incentive for this setup, I found a 55-250 IS new in box for $50 off retail because it was part of a kit and the buyer wants to recoup some money from the deal.

So, with these as starting points, what are your thoughts on a casual family documentation setup for an XTi owner and soon-to-be new father?
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:05 PM   #2

I just got a Canon DSLR and the nifty fifty. Havenīt had that much time to try it out yet, but shot a few snapshots tonight. It seems to be a great lens.

Check out the shots here.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:14 PM   #3

The 50/1.8 plus the 55-250 IS sounds like a nice package.

I think my preference would be a Tamron 60/2 or a Sigma 70/2.8. But those might be over your mother's budget.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp87 View Post
My brother has a baby on the way, and my mom is thinking about getting him and his wife a lens for his XTi. He's had the XTi with kit lens (I don't recall if the XTis came with the 18-55 IS or the old one) for probably a year and a half or so, so I imagine he's pretty familiar with it. He'd probably be taking mostly candid shots (indoor and out, he lives in Florida), and maybe a more staged shot here and there. Nothing serious, just for memories and good diy photos.

So, my mom asked me what lenses she should look at for him, but she's not looking to break the bank. I was originally looking trying to decide if she should go for a macro/portrait lens (I've heard that the 60mm macro and the 100mm 2.8 Macro do wonderful portraiture), but I didn't know how good that would be for catching candid shots as the baby becomes a toddler, etc. But, I think these were a little more expensive than she was looking at.

My next thought was a good zoom to couple with the kit lens, like the 70-300 IS (that I myself want, but is also probably more expensive than she wants), which lead me to the current setup I'm thinking of proposing to her.

How would a 50mm 1.8 and 55-250 IS pair together with the 18-55 XTi kit lens for a system of lenses for documenting a new family? I was thinking the nifty fifty would be great for indoor stuff, as well as allowing him to isolate his child with a nice shallow DOF for wall-hangers, and the 55-250 IS might be pretty good for outdoor stuff and when the kiddo starts to grow up and play around on his/her own and whatnot. More incentive for this setup, I found a 55-250 IS new in box for $50 off retail because it was part of a kit and the buyer wants to recoup some money from the deal.

So, with these as starting points, what are your thoughts on a casual family documentation setup for an XTi owner and soon-to-be new father?
I would think if he is a soon to be father, he does not need a 55-250mm, since the baby will not be to far away:>) I would check to see if the 18-55 is the old one, or newer (is) model...which would be used I would think for the new family! If he does have the new version, I would think a flash would be more useful then the zoom, if not, but him the new version of the 18-55 (is) for around $100....Congrats!!!!
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:21 AM   #5
Super Moderator

An external flash would be most useful. Babies can be shot with just about any lens, and a kit lens stopped down a bit is fine for that purpose.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:37 AM   #6

Hi all good advice has been given and its a difficult choice. Babies grow up and are soon moving so you need to look at that, so the zoom would be nice. I know that when my kids were young I put my zoom to good use and as they are in Florida lots of sun then a good flash would be useful too.
I got the 50 1.8 and the 55-250 from buydig for $300 is this in your price range as for flash then nissin di622 is reasonable not sure of price in the states. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:16 AM   #7

My son is 4 1/2 now, and round about 2 or so a zoom can be really beneficial. In the mean time there are other options which will provide greater benefit. An external flash is tops on the list. Second is a lens to get some nice shallow-dof / available light shots. My preference is the 85mm 1.8 - a better focal length for a baby than 50mm. But the 50mm is a lot less money. But both of those lenses will be infinitely more useful for shots of the child than a consumer zoom lens. Most importantly because any indoor shots with existing equipment will require use of the built-in flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:59 PM   #8

An external flash would be most useful.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote