Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Which 300 mm lens?

Hi all I've been having fun and learning with my t2i, two things i am want to look into are,
1. A good zoom in the 300mm (have the 55-250 kit but need a little bit longer
) that can still be hand held.
2. A is the sigma 50-200 f.8 fast to focus and can it still be used hand held or should i better look at the 150? any other optios I should look at?
3. A not to spensive macro to be used for mostly inanimate objects and insects. Does the 500D produce good enough resulta for amateur? Do i loose any light?

As always thanks again for your advise,

Maria

Last edited by marubex; Jan 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:52 PM   #2

If you need longer reach, the ef 70-300 IS USM or the tamron 70-300 VC USD.

If you need macro the 500D add on will work nicely for macro if you do not want a true macro lens. But want to do some macro, you will want a dedicated macro lens.

The sigma is a HSM lens. So it does focus fast like the canon and tamron I mention.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:08 PM   #3

Maria - what are you shooting? An extra 50mm isn't an awful lot so you need to be sure 300mm will be enough if 250mm is too short.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:08 PM   #4

oh, and there is no 50-200mm 2.8 from sigma. There is a 70-200 and a 50-150.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:47 AM   #5

As John was so kind to point out knowing what you are shooting and from what distance would go a long way in helping you decide.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:11 AM   #6

Here's a shot I took yesterday afternoon with my Tamron SP70-300mm. The shot was taken at 300mm (equivalent of a 480mm on our T2i), with VC engaged, at ISO 400, f8, 1/500s, and hand-held.

I did apply a fair amount of pp to the image, so this shows what can be made of the photo.
Attached Images

iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:18 AM   #7

Here's a 100% crop from the RAW file. The auto-contrast and auto-sharpen enhances the noise a bit, so I reduced that along with popping the colors for the earlier post.
Attached Images

iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Yes, sorry i got the numbers mixed with the sigmas.
I am shooting horses and ridders, the probem is at 250 i can't get as close as i would like to get good helad shots. Also I've tried to get some birds but also i feel i am getting a little short. And since mostly i can not use a tripod I've figured a 300 could be a good compromise.
I have a 50mm F1.8 which i kind of like and thought about gettting a brighter longhish zoom for indoors when i can not get that close, that is my thought behind the sigma 50-150, but looking at sigmas website it now shows as discontinued, so any other options i should look at? On the less expensive side (less than 800)?

Thanks in advance,

Marķa
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the swan shoots iowa jim they look great, what kind of pp did you apply?

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
I am shooting horses and ridders, the probem is at 250 i can't get as close as i would like to get good helad shots. Also I've tried to get some birds but also i feel i am getting a little short. And since mostly i can not use a tripod I've figured a 300 could be a good compromise
That's not a lot of difference (250mm vs. 300mm), especially considering that your existing Canon is fairly sharp at 250mm compared to most 70-300mm zooms on their longer end.

$899 budget, huh? You may want to consider a used Bigma (the nickname given to the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM lens). Make sure you're comfortable with a lens with it's size and weight (as your existing lens is very small and light in comparison).

That way, you'd still have the wider end you've got now with your 55-250mm (since it starts out at 50mm), and you could zoom in much tighter for other shots if needed (especially for birding, etc.).

keh.com has one in Canon mount for $725 right now.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-...99092840J?r=FE

If you go used, I'd make sure to get one from a reputable seller (for example, http://www.keh.com , http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.adorama.com sell used gear) with a short term warranty on used gear in case it has any issues. keh.com has 14 day (from invoice date) return policy on most used gear, as well as a 60 day warranty on most used gear. Click on the Help choice at the top of their pages and you'll see sections for return policy and warranty.

Note that Sigma has a newer version with OS (Optical Stablization, which is their version of IS). But, it would run you around $1599 new (and it's a new lens model, so it would be tough to find used); and most dealers are out of stock if you try to find the older Bigma model without OS. Here's the new one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_DG_OS.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote