Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:35 PM   #1

Default Which canon 500d close up?

Hi, In a previous post I asede a bunch of questions about different lenses, but those will have to wait as they are pretty expensive. And I probably should get a flash and a tripod first, but will ask in the right forum.
Anyway, I think a 500d would probably be a good way to learn macro and have fun without spending s lot. Which is the one i need to get, or what are their differences as there seems to be a 52mm 58mm and a 72mm?
Btw I would be using it with the 55-250.

Thanks for all your help in the past few moths,

Marķa
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:41 PM   #2

for the 55-250 the 58mm one will mount right on. It is the same size as the ef 70-300 and the 18-55.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:04 PM   #3

Thanks a lot shoturtle
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Do yourself a favour and don't get a closeup lens attachment.

The quality is simply terrible.

Best is a dedicated Macro lens, and prices (try used too) can be very reasonable. Certainly less than the cost of the body!

Worst case scenario - use Macro extension tubes and live view. These cost no more than the filters and can give excellent quality.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:08 AM   #5

they may not be as good as a try macro lens, but depending on which one you get. some are allot better. The canon 500D is one of the higher end ones, that are very good.

These were taken with the epl-1 with the panasonic 45-200mm with the 500d, hand held. They turned out quite well.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...-thailand.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:44 AM   #6

Even at their best, close-up lenses add optical elements to an already complex optical system, and will degrade image quality to some extent. This is the same argument we all make when discussing filters and teleconverters. Why would it not apply to close up lenses as well? ... even exceptional ones?

And let's face it. The Canon 55-250 IS is a good lens, especially for the price. But it's not a great lens, and a close-up lens will likely magnify some of it's imperfections.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Thanks again to all of you.
What would be a decent macro lens on the cheap side and preferably with somewhat fast AF so it could double, or should i just save up and buy two separare lenses?
I have been doping some research and round a lot of Sigma's zooms carry the macro designation is it true or marketing?
And do i need some sort of IS if i am going to use it hand held sometimes? (my only non IS lens is the 50 F1.8 and as i understand short focal ranges are more manageable without it?)
Thanks again for your valuamos help,

Marķa
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #8

First, macro lenses do not focus quickly. They focus slowly so as to get a very accurate focus.

Second, if you want to shoot macro, you should use fast shutter speeds, a stabilized lens, or a tripod. Currently, there are only two stabilized macro lenses for Canon dSLRs: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro and the upcoming Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro. And IS doesn't work very well for 1:1 macro, but it's ok for 1:2 and lesser magnifications.

Third, zoom lenses from any manufacturer are not 1:1 macro, and are rarely even 1:2 macro, but they can often work well for close-up work.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hmm, I may have to change my opinion...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...q/closeup2.htm

Recommends close up lenses over the tubes.

A dedicated Macro lens is still best of course.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:52 PM   #10

It comes down to a simple thing, cost vs performance 65 dollar for a high end conversion lens, or 400 dollars for a good 1:1 macro lens with a shorter range. Also, I do have macro lenses, but when I went on vacation and wanted to keep things light. The conversions was macro ability while I could leave the macro lens home.

It is about trade offs

Also in the OP's other thread, I did say a dedicated macro lens will do a better job. But it will cost more.