Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Taken sports shots with the Rebel.....

Going to purchase a Rebel soon.
I currently have a Olympus E100RS , which has 10x zoom.
Ive looked at and read about the Rebel,
It looks like the next step for me.

Need to know (even thought may be stupid) what lens could give me around the same upclose shots as a 10x zoom. Or closer,lol.
Im not that familar with lenses , this will be my first camera with them. Ive had the 100rs for 2 years and another older 2 years before. So i want to move up with the megapix for certain things.

Can i get good sport shots with the Rebel ?
The photos i mostly take are midget league football, baseball,softball, and try to take indoor basketball and volleyball.
And then just normal family stuff and some close ups.

If anyone can tell me the best to get for a small price of a rookie.
Not a guiant lens , just something easy and makes good shots for a rookie.
Here are some of my shots i take.

still love my 100rs for action!

www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
www.pbase.com/yankees22
www.pbase.com/yankees

What lens will get me these shots with the Rebel ?
anyone please help ,lol. :shock:
:shock: :shock:
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat as you. Mainly interested in sports shots. I had the F717 w/ a 2x tele, but just got the DigiReb for Christmas. Took my son to a Notre Dame BB game on Sunday and took about 100 pics w/ the new camera. I'm having some trouble understanding the SLR's to get action photos. Messed up some good shots Anyway, the lens people have recommended to me is the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS. Heard the IS is a must.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:00 PM   #3

I'm in the same boat as both of you! I have the Fuji S602 and I do like it but the Dig Rebel seems like a great upgrade. However, I don't understand all teh settings and things, so I might be best with the Fuji. But I would love to take pix of my kids basketball. I haven't tried it yet with the Fuji.....

I'm going to watch this thread!
JBsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:38 PM   #4

The X zoom of the compact digital cameras does not directly equate to the SLR lens nomenclature. If camera A is a 10x zoom, that 10x is in relation from its widest focal length to its longest focal length.

In the SLR world, focal lengths are stated in mm which is based on the focal length from the film plane to the lens. The DRebel comes with a 18-55mm zoom lens so it would equate to about 3x zoom. The thing about SLR cameras over compact cameras is the ability to change lenses. You would add lenses to cover the gamut of photography that you do. I have a 28-70mm lens and a 75-300mm lens giving me a bit better than a 10x zoom from one lens to the next. I don't know what the equivalent lengths your Olympus has, so I can't equate the two. The 300mm length is equivalent to using a 480mm lens on a standard 35 mm format. At that length, you should be able to take just about any pictures you desire barring some field work dealing with small birds.

Bear in mind, that a SLR is far different than a point and shoot compact camera. If you're going to get into SLR photography, take the time to read a good book on photography so that you understand the basics of exposure, composition, light, etc. Picking up a SLR and takiing a quick shot of the kids is not the strength of this type of camera. But if you want to capture action shots, expansive scenics, and prints worthy of hanging on your wall, this is the way to go.

Have fun!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 3:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I took my CF card to a camera store and took some shots with the Rebel , i love it , i cant wait to get it.
They told me that the Telephoto EF 75-300mm was a good one too.
But i thought he said it would prob. equal to a 6x zoom, but he did say its hard to explain.
I just need something about equal or more than what i have on getting close to the action. At football and softball games.
I know i just like the quick snap of the Rebel , its very fast on focus and taken the shot, unlike most digitals.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:10 PM   #6
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankeegurl
They told me that the Telephoto EF 75-300mm was a good one too. But i thought he said it would prob. equal to a 6x zoom, but he did say its hard to explain.
I just need something about equal or more than what i have on getting close to the action.
A 75-300 zoom is in fact a 4x zoom, but that is pretty irrelevant. (4 * 75 = 300 hence 4x...)

If you really want to match the zoom range to your current camera, look up Steve's review of your current camera. See what Steve says the range of the lense is in 35mm terms. Match a SLR lense to that range taking account of the extra 1.6x increase in the 300D.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:33 PM   #7

If you really want to get into interchangeable lens DSLR's, forget the X factor and read up on focal lengths
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 1:48 PM   #8
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
If you really want to get into interchangeable lens DSLR's, forget the X factor and read up on focal lengths
Good advice.

Actually the X factor is pretty useless with any camera type, unless all the lenses/cameras you're comparing start at the same focal length.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:19 PM   #9
lg

Default Equivalent lens is 38-380mm

Hi, wvyankeegurl! I don't know much about the lenses available for the Digital Rebel, but your E100RS has the same lens as mine. It's the equivalent of a 38-380mm SLR lens. Perhaps armed with this info, someone else out there can provide you a more helpful suggestion as to the lens you might choose!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:43 PM   #10

Thanks that helps !
ok here is a stupid question
do the 2 numbers mean , something 300 ft. looks like its 75 ft.
or something like that, just asking till i can go look it up when i have more time this week. I work nites so ill read up on it then.

I really do need to read up on more of it.
I printed a shot i took in the store 8x10. It did pretty good ,
concidering i dont know much about lighting, and changing it for the camera.
My mom is going crazy , she wants a camera so bad, she is a picture freak like me,lol.
Im gonna let her use my olympus a little after i get the rebel, dont figure ill sale it. i still have my oldest one about 5 years ago, sony with the floppy disks ,lol. my kids use it.
I really appreciate all the help you all have gave.
Im excited about softball and baseball to start , to test the rebel.