Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:08 AM   #1

Default Looking For A Lens To Shoot Low Light And Night

I'm an amateur shooter by all counts but I make money on my images as they get used for software applications.

I am thinking of getting a Canon 60D as I often need the tilting LCD for 'covert' shots. Now I have a lot of demand for low light and night images of cars and bikes - still and moving as well as night scenes such as streets, buildings, city skylines etc.

How would the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM do for these sort of images under street lights? I would not be able to use a tripod in most situations.

As I can make from the images cost is of secondary importance, just need to get very good night shots.

Last edited by daclick; Jan 29, 2011 at 3:10 AM.
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:21 AM   #2

well for a zoom, that is about the best you can get. It is a big aperture zoom, with pro glass. Nothing else really comes close in this focal range with that kind of preformance. So 70-200 2.8 II and the high iso of the 60D will give you good results. As long as the subject is not moving to fast and not to dark. Decent street lighting. You really do not want to shoot pass 3200iso, as it gets noisy pass that.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:26 AM   #3

PS

Also when shooting with the big aperture, you need to accept the shallow dof that comes with a big aperture lens. You will most likely not get the whole car in focus at 2.8 depending on how close you are to your subject and how much separation your focus point is in relation to the rest of the car.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
PS

Also when shooting with the big aperture, you need to accept the shallow dof that comes with a big aperture lens. You will most likely not get the whole car in focus at 2.8 depending on how close you are to your subject and how much separation your focus point is in relation to the rest of the car.
Ok thanks, I don't really need the whole thing in focus, often the shots can be of a detail. Then the images go to PS CS5 for cropping and usually some HDR toning.

Not sure I know what "how much separation your focus point is in relation to the rest of the car" means.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:47 AM   #5

If you are focusing on the windshield area, but what to keep the hood in the shot. At 2.8 part of the hood will not be in focus. But the windshield will be in focus.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:56 AM   #6

Got ya, thanks for the explanation.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:59 AM   #7

the 70-200 2.8L II is a great lens, nothing else out there can really match it. It is just to big of a lens for me to lug around. The main reason I do not have one.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:08 AM   #8

Yes I've been reading reviews on Amazon about it. Also it goes for a very high price secondhand so can't really lose on it.

I'm a big guy with big hands so I should be ok with the size of the lens
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:12 AM   #9

Yes it is, is most likely the best 70-200mm. This is a good review on the lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:54 AM   #10

i doubt if the lens would serve its purpose. The camera lens combination may get you a shutter speed of around 1/20-1/100(Very optimistic). And at this shutter speed the conversion rate is going go down big time. Even with the IS the subject movement is never going to be eliminated and you may end up spening too much on something you will regret.

If the intent is to shoot moving subjects and kind of candid shots hiding inside the car this combination would be a honest disappointment without a flash unit
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote