Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:13 AM   #11

Quote:
I think I'll get this - A fantastic lens made even better: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150mm...po-macro-sigma
OS does adds value to this lens. I just sold mine for Canon mount as i am using the Mp-65 for fun macros. Also with the lot of equipment being sold, i am slightly motivated to try the Nikon D300 or the D700 instead of the 5D. But only thing stopping me is the 85mm F1.2, 70-200 f2.8 and obviously the 5D mark II which still has no competetion (my opinion).

Always want to try a Nikon but 5D is something that has no competetion or a matching camera from nikon. @21Mp with full HD recording I dont think i need a reason to get the D700.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:44 AM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
Always want to try a Nikon but 5D is something that has no competetion or a matching camera from nikon. @21Mp with full HD recording I dont think i need a reason to get the D700.
It depends what you shoot...

In the studio for example which is what I use my A900 mostly for, focusing in the dark is not a 5D series forte, both the Nikon and the Sony is much more responsive in this area
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:27 AM   #13

Quote:
The Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM and APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM were first introduced at Photokina in September 2010. Those lenses will be available for purchase in late February and the end of March for the U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $4,700 and $1,600, respectively. In April, they will be joined by a weather-resistant update to another old favorite, the 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM, for the U.S. MSRP of $1,400. All lenses will be released in Nikon and Canon mounts first, and will be available in Sigma, Pentax and Sony mounts shortly thereafter.

I recently picked up a used Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO MACRO DG HSM with an Oly mount and have to say that Sigma did everything right with this particular lens. While it is not the latest iteration with OS, it is an excellent lens that is sharp when wide open, delivering great resolution and quick to focus. Build quality is very good.

It is one hefty piece of glass.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:02 PM   #14

There goes the news we all wanted to hear

Quote:
In the studio for example which is what I use my A900 mostly for, focusing in the dark is not a 5D series forte, both the Nikon and the Sony is much more responsive in this area
I have to agree here. In fact in studio you have the light set up required for your shoots and the high ISO just becomes a the last thing to worry about. In that case the A900 will whip every other camera currently in the market.

Will update on the route i take. I may end up getting a Nikon wanting to try the world of Nikon D300s for quite a while while i continue to use a 5D. Best of both worlds you see
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:51 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
It depends what you shoot...

I agree too. In fact I cannot fathom why the 5D series doesn't have an AF assist beam.

So instead you have to use the ST-E2 or have a flash attached. Which of course is excellent, but adds an extra couple of hundred dollars. Oh, hang on maybe that's why they did it. But I suppose that if you are using studio lighting you need the hotshoe for a flash trigger. Is the lighting in your studio really that dim? What about the modelling lights?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:36 AM   #16

Quote:
I agree too. In fact I cannot fathom why the 5D series doesn't have an AF assist beam.
Its an approach where they fear only Nikon to haunt their sales in the FF market. The cheapest 21MP FF camera from either of these companies is now Canon 5D. And anyone interested to buy a D700 will look at 5D for the resolution.

Their arrogance to not even include a decent AF system( Instead using the age old 9point AF system) is evident. The build quality is not comparable with the D700 nor the AF system or the high iso.

Instead producing matching High ISO images upto 6400 on a 21MP camera with lenses that range from 50mm F1.2 to 17mm TS-e, they assume and accept that many will pick a 5D over D700.

They have not considered the Sony series a competetion yet. May be the day they wake up and smell they will realise that their 5D as a photographer toy is quite bare.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:20 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post

So instead you have to use the ST-E2 or have a flash attached. Which of course is excellent, but adds an extra couple of hundred dollars. Oh, hang on maybe that's why they did it. But I suppose that if you are using studio lighting you need the hotshoe for a flash trigger. Is the lighting in your studio really that dim? What about the modelling lights?
AF systems work on contrasting details... Bare skin has little details even with modeling lights for the camera to work on. Trust me:

Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:04 PM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
I have to agree here. In fact in studio you have the light set up required for your shoots and the high ISO just becomes a the last thing to worry about. In that case the A900 will whip every other camera currently in the market.
There's a little known feature in the A900 which never stop to amaze all my C&N friends when I showed this to them is the 'Preview' button on manual: This button snap a preview of the image on the rear display after triggering all the strobes in the studio. I can then adjust the aperture (or shutter) to make the histograms look just right, and voila' my camera is all setup. On a C/N camera one would meter the light 1st and then transpose the readings to the camera... Just extra unnecessary steps!

Last edited by NHL; Feb 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:40 AM   #19

@NHL

Thats a nice feature. Even with the live view, one needs the actual preview of the shot that may turn out after the strobes are triggered.

Ever tried the Sigma SD series?. Heard they are good for studio providing the additional detail on the whites/yellows specifically?

Any try?