Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:54 AM   #1

Default The new 500mm and 600mm

The update big boys.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...500mm600mm.asp
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:34 AM   #2

Nice, both seem to be up about 2500$ from the previous mark-i versions.
Wonder if that new mode IS and the other improvements are really worth that much more!

Time to start hinting for next christmas already!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Nice, both seem to be up about 2500$ from the previous mark-i versions.
I doubt the pricing will be so high. In that case people will prefer getting the Nikon versions where the cameras D3s and D3X are supposed to carry better ISO performance and better AF compared to the 1d Mark IV.

one of the reason why I stick to canon is the lens prices compared to other brands.

If they end up being just like others, i will be first one to start looking at other systems.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:07 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
I doubt the pricing will be so high. In that case people will prefer getting the Nikon versions where the cameras D3s and D3X are supposed to carry better ISO performance and better AF compared to the 1d Mark IV.

one of the reason why I stick to canon is the lens prices compared to other brands.

If they end up being just like others, i will be first one to start looking at other systems.
The grass is not that much greener on the other side...

Even at the new price the Canon's are still 'cheaper' than the Nikon's equivalent, that is if you're lucky - For some reason Nikon lenses are always out of stock commanding their asking price (like the Tokina's) and not likely to be discounted at retail. I don't expect Sony to give you any break either judging from their current pricing if they ever release their revised 500's (and certainly not in a Zeiss)

The only options before used to be 3rd party, but now that they added 'IS' and weatherized capability, they are also pricing themselves out of the market from the non-professional (i.e. Make $$$ and write them off)

Imagine venturing yourself alone in the rainforest of some foreign countries shooting wildlife... A very easy target, even with a guide or driver, when your lens is now costing more than some local automobiles (Don't even think about bringing two i.e. another white 100-400 or a 70-200)

Last edited by NHL; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:34 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:24 AM   #5

@NHL

You are making me think twice before selling my 500 and keep it as an investment till the prices shoot up for the old 500. Darn you.
Quote:

A very easy target, even with a guide or driver, when your lens is now costing more than some local automobiles (Don't even think about bringing two i.e. another white 100-400 or a 70-200)
I am absolutely sure you dont have to shoot wildlife or travel in the rainforest. Travel with a camera bag in Europe and the chances of you getting duped is far more than losing your equipments in the rain forest.

I am this close to reducing my gear and going to FF to just shoot in studio and portraits. I had my fun and run with wildlife .
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:55 AM   #6

That is exactly what I have done, except I still like to wander the bush.
Now using 5D mkii's and usually just take a 17-40 and 70-200 f/4 L lenses with a CF gitzo and a flash or two.

Reduced my normal day backpack from around 60 pounds to under 20 pounds.
Weight became really important after I messed up my back and both knees.

I suspect I won't be lookng to update the longer lenses again, unless there is an insurance claim because somethng nasty happened to my old gear.

That 3Rd party is very good on service!
My very old 500DG super flashes quit working with the arrival of the new 5d-mkii. I called them and they just said bring them in. A few days later the flashes were working again better than ever. The Sigma repair center had replaced the electronics in the flashes with new updated circuit boards for free!
Years after the warranty period had expired!

I have never had Canon or Nikon gear repaired without having to shell out for the privelage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
I am this close to reducing my gear and going to FF to just shoot in studio and portraits. I had my fun and run with wildlife .