Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:14 AM   #11
Super Moderator

See I'm one of those people who thinks that IS benefits are dramatically UNDERSTATED by most people on this forum.

In the real world a lens with IS almost always outperforms its non IS counterpart (i.e. not on a test workbench under ideal conditions), and this is true at all focal lengths. Serious landscape photographers have always said that use of a tripod and mirror lockup is absolutely critical to get anything like the maximum sharpness a lens is capable of achieving. With good IS you can possibly get away without it these days. Part of the real-world wow factor achievable from the Alpha Zeiss lenses is attributable to the in-body IS in the A900.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/technique/technique/page40.html

I personally find tripods annoying, so I wish there were better options for wide angle lenses with IS from Canon. But for now, extracting maximum performance from wide angle lenses still requires a tripod.

In the search for that level of quality however using any kind of zoom lens with more than a 3X factor is extremely silly.

Obviously for sports photography and flash photography IS is usually of far less benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Again, in my own experience - my walk-around lens is stabilized but in thousands of shots I've probably had less than 10 where the IS came into play.
John, could you explain a bit more please, because on the face of it I'm not sure how you could possibly make this statement.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 20, 2011 at 6:08 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:18 AM   #12
NHL

This might not work for everyone... but I have a technique for 'poor man' IS
-> Turn the bracketing mode on, and out of the series at least one of the images will be usable...

Off course one can't be too reckless about it, but if one tries to hold the camera steady (and a heavy lens works better too because of the extra inertia). The initial and final images are usually the blurry one as one squeeze or release the shutter, but the middle ones usually turn out OK
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:18 AM   #13

Hi Craig!

Sigma has recently popped a new stabilized short zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/17-50...c-os-hsm-sigma
Price does not seem too bad either.

Unfortunately it is a DC / EF-s lens that won't fit my camera bodies.

Might hate carrying them around, but I'll stick to the mighty Gitzo for any serious (ie: paying) work.

Last edited by PeterP; Feb 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:20 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
This might not work for everyone... but I have a technique for 'poor man' IS
-> Turn the bracketing mode on, and out of the series at least one of the images will be usable...

Off course one can't be too reckless about it, but if one tries to hold the camera steady (and a heavy lens works better too because of the extra inertia). The initial and final images are usually the blurry one as one squeeze or release the shutter, but the middle ones usually turn out OK
Yep. As you probably know, Nikon has done something like that for years with it's BSS (Best Shot Selector) feature on point and shoot models. I've owned both a Nikon Coolpix 950 and 990 that had BSS (and it looks like newer models still have that feature).

BSS takes up to 10 photos in a burst when you hold down the shutter button, then picks the best one for you, without any need to save the rest to the memory card.

Of course, how it decides which one is sharper is a matter of debate.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:37 AM   #15
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yep... I've owned both a Nikon Coolpix 950 and 990 that had BSS (and it looks like newer models still have that feature).
We do go back a long way do we?
I have a 990 too (and still do) which is a direct copy of my Agfa 1680 (which still works BTW)... Things (and expectations) have changed so much!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Of course, how it decides which one is sharper is a matter of debate.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
In the real world a lens with IS almost always outperforms its non IS counterpart (i.e. not on a test workbench under ideal conditions), and this is true at all focal lengths.

I personally find tripods annoying, so I wish there were better options for wide angle lenses with IS from Canon.
I absolutely agree!
I frequently take photos from a moving vehicle in the desert (with plenty of bumps) but I get excellent keep rate with the photos I take of Camels, Oryx, Horses, Sheep, landscape etc with an image stabilized lens ... last year I was on a holiday in UK and 90% of photos were taken while in tour buses or the fast moving Padolino trains and majority of the pics were keeprs ... I could not have gotten as many keepers with non-IS lenses ... I remember 3 years ago when I did not have any IS lenses (other then the 18-55 kit lens), I used to struggle in desert (in a moving vehicle) with hardly any photos worth showing.

I wish Canon made the 16-35 L f/2.8 & 24-70 L f/2.8 with IS ... if they did I'd be one of the first to Queue up for them.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:04 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
I wish Canon made the 16-35 L f/2.8 & 24-70 L f/2.8 with IS ... if they did I'd be one of the first to Queue up for them.
You do know that the Alpha has the Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and even the 3rd party new 12-24mm (or the short primes, if not all lenses) stabilized if it's in the body... I didn't have to wait!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:49 PM   #19

I understand how IS can be more important at longer focal ranges, to allow as an example a 1/100s exposure at 300mm rather than a 1/400s. I understand how IS is less important at shorter focal ranges because we're still butting up against the need to set the shutter fast enough to stop motion.

But for hand-holding a shot of a static object in low light, a 1/5s exposure with IS can make all the difference.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:54 PM   #20

actually as you get close to 1 sec, IS can induce shake as well. You are really moving into the tripod arena. I can actually hand hold a non IS lens down to 1/8 of a sec. But anything lower, you really want a tripod and not IS.