Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO vs Canon 55-250

In the same range, will the sigma IQ be as good or better then the Canon? I am thinking the Sigma would suit me better for some indoor sports along with my 85mm,,,,where as the 55-250 I only use outside, the 70-200 range works for me both indoor/outdoor
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:23 PM   #2

This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

The sigma has a two-stop advantage, faster AF, better build quality. You mentioned indoor sports (no brainer there - the sigma is useful, the 55-250 not really) but what do you want to shoot outdoors? That's where things are more interesting. For example, if you want to shoot birds/wildlife then 200mm is woefully short - although 250 isn't much better.

Still, you should also visit a store and hand-hold a canon (non IS version) 70-200 2.8 to get an idea of size/weight and make sure you're OK with that aspect.

But it's hardly a surprise that an $800 lens outperforms a $200 lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:30 PM   #3

John,
Outdoors I might shoot some baseball, lacrosse...just for fun, I know it will be short, I can stand on the sidelines,,. Most of my shooting is indoors, my son playing basketball. My 85mm works well, just thought I could have a little more fun and flexibility with the Sigma. The Sigma seems to be the choice over the Tamron, with faster focus?

The Sigma's just scare me because I am looking at used, and there seems to be many versions,,,,it there one to look for,,,,or to look out
for?
Is the older sigma APO(non DG) better or worse than the newer ones....I found a 70-200 APO HSM non dg, around 4 yrs old for $500?

thanks

Last edited by Mark2009; Mar 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:39 PM   #4

Well again - the 55-250 is useless for indoor basketball. Neither is a good lens for baseball or lax (even from the sidelines). But the 70-200 offers more flexibility.

I just looked on-line: OUCH - sigma raised the price to $950. That is tough.

The thing with Sigma though is their quality control seems to have gone down hill over the last 5 years or so. Some people have great sigma lenses and some, not so much. The key: If buying a used copy, try to buy one from someone who shoots sports - then ask to see sports images from the lens.

There are likely 3 different versions:
70-200 2.8 (non DG)
70-200 2.8 DG
70-200 2.8 DG II

Truth be told, I heard a lot less issues with the pre-DG lenses and I owned one. The issue there is: now you're talking about an aging electronic so you've got more chance of some type of failure.
The DG II corrected some issues in the DG I, so I would be inclined to say go with a II version. But in the end I would base the decision on the condition of the lens and by viewing recent photos taken from the lens. I wouldn't buy a sigma lens second-hand without the seller providing photographic evidence of the lens performance.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Is not the newest version of the Sigma 70-200 now also stabilized ?:
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:39 PM   #6

welcome to one of the most expensive past times i know the 55-250is does its job well but as has been said its not the same as a $900 lens. the question is if you have the money then go for it, or you may have to wait and save. that sounds like my wife talking lol
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote