Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Where do I find a good....?

...lens breakdown/tutorial?

I am trying my best to learn about lenses... and all the technical explanations that separate and define them....
But I'm LOST!!!
Organizedkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:32 PM   #2

gees organised chaos huh
sounds like my life
anyways
there are great websites that offer reviews and customer opinions
google it
what are you looking for and what camera do you use
also what do you intend to shoot
one bit of advice
a good lens cost money but will survive longer
cheaper lenses are great cost savers but then one day you awake and find that it just aint good enough and your images dont POP
learn your camera and its settings and play with the lens you have rather than go spend the money, unless your loaded then go 'stir crazy'
take care
peace
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:20 PM   #3

Well... I'm far from being LOADED... but I'm coming into a lot of photo work... and with the money, I want to reinvest.

I have a Canon EOS 60D with 18-135 lens, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens....

I dont *really* know what I'm doing... but I think I fake it pretty well considering.
I would like to KNOW what I'm doing so I can maximize not only the ability of my camera... but my potential as well.

I like to take pix of ppl... macro stuff... whatever really
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

have you purchased a good flash yet?

that would go further to improving your work than any lens.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:31 PM   #5

Nope on the flash. I'm even more lost as to what to get in that area
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:06 PM   #6

flash choices are easy actually with canon. The 3 big options are canon, metz and nissin. All work the same, just a little different interface.

If you want serious power on a flash, canon 580exII, Metz 58 AF-2, and Nissin di866.
Good power Metz 50 AF-1, Canon 430exII, and Nissin di622.

I would not go smaller.

There are the sigma flash like the ST 610, but I am not a fan of sigma as they reverse engineer most their equipment. And can have compatibility issues.

Now lenses it really comes down to the conditions you shoot, and the subject matter. I know we have the macro covered. People, depends on the type of people shots. Candid, portraits and so forth.

Good sites to read up on lenses and review are
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/
http://www.photozone.de/

With macro, you might want to invest in a ring mount flash from metz. It is a nice option for getting proper lighting on macro. But it does add size. But you get full ettl ability.
http://www.metz.de/en/press-center/p...s-1.html#c4193
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:11 PM   #7

A good site to research lenses is photozone.de They do very in depth reviews and are not swayed by any corporate influence.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organizedkhaos View Post
...lens breakdown/tutorial?

I am trying my best to learn about lenses... and all the technical explanations that separate and define them....
But I'm LOST!!!
Do you have any specific questions?

Focal length affects angle of view. A shorter the focal length provides a wider angle of view. The effect is not linear.

Aperture affects exposure and depth of field. A larger aperture lets you use faster shutter speeds, and blur the foreground and background.

Lenses vary in quality. You can compare lenses at websites like SLRGear.com, PhotoZone.de, DxOMark.com and LensTip.com. In general, higher quality lenses cost more, though there are exceptions.

The lenses you've got are pretty good. Is there anything you'd like to be able to do but can't? Is there anything you've tried and was dissatisfied with the results?

Last edited by TCav; Mar 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:48 PM   #9

Thank you Tcav!
I love the thoroughness of your post.

I guess the things I cant do with my current gear would be remedied with a telephoto lens.

I'm challenged right now trying to FIGURE everything out with my camera and my macro lens. The walkaround is simple enough.

I'm one of those kinds of ppl who learn by watching and doing... I'm extremely challenged when I try to read directions and apply them.
The kinds of directions I can read and respond to are the ones that break each step down in 'plain english' ... I have the ability to understand difficult terms as long as I'm not barraged with them.

This SHOULD be clear to me... but what is the difference in the settings 0.31m and 0.48m and how does that effect the results? (on the macro lens)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:11 PM   #10

I keep things simple, at .31m which is about 18 inchs. You will have 1:4 macro, and that is the max focus distance. And you can work your way in to about 6 inches for 1:1 macro.

.48m is about 20 inches, that is the min focus distance the lenses can start at. And will focus out to form there. So you can not shoot macro at the .48 setting, you need to use the .31