Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Default 70-200mm zoom

Good afternoon.
I am looking for some advise on canon or sigma 70-200mm zoom lenses.
My daughter goes trampolining and I have been taking pictures of her and the club members for sometime using a sigma 70-300mm non IS,some of the shots I have taken have come out ok but now it is time for me to improve.The venue's that we go to don't allow flash photography so I am looking to purchase a 70-200mm f2.8. Do I need IS. 90% of the time I am tracking the subject up and down I am also purchasing a canon eos 7d to give me 8 fps at the moment I am using a canon eos 1000d with only 3 fps.I aslo take pictures of my daughter in ahletics.

sorry to go on a bit
nigel
nicaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2

There are multiple options in current production:
Sigma 70-200 2.8 - $950
sigma 70-200 2.8 OS - $1400
Canon 70-200 2.8 - $1376
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS - discontinued but you might still find it.
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - $2500

Now, IS/OS aren't really needed for your specific application. It's a "nice to have" but for your stated needs not a "need to have".

I shot for years with an older Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens and then moved to the Canon non-IS version. I rated the sigma as being about 90% of what the canon was - slightly less sharp and slightly slower to focus in low light. Here's the thing though - in the last few years it seems like sigma quality control has had a lot of bumps. There seem to be more quality related issues than there used to be. Now, a number of issues revolve around front/back focus. With the micro-adjust in the 7d, you can correct for that so it may still be a great option at $950 (vs. $400 more for the canon). It is too early to tell how the sigma with OS performs so at the current price point it's tough to recommend it.

Now, the new Canon IS v II is absolutely the best out there right now - sharper & faster to focus than any other version for Canon and very good image stabilization. But you're paying a very high premium for that gain. For non professional use, it's hard to recommend spending that kind of money - you're just not going to see enough of a quality difference IMO for shooting your own kids.

Given the micro-focus adjust on the 7d I'd be inclined towards recommending the sigma non-OS version. But if you want the better piece of mind and slightly better performance than go with the canon non-IS version.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:14 AM   #3

Default coanon 70-200

Many Thanks for your reply.I think I will go for the canon non IS, I am am in no rush for this so I will keep looking on ebay for a while.Only wish I could buy the new lens at the price you have shown $1400=874(british pounds)that price would not be a problem.

Once again thank you

Nigel.
nicaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4

[QUOTE=nicaev;1209395]Many Thanks for your reply.I think I will go for the canon non IS, I am am in no rush for this so I will keep looking on ebay for a while.Only wish I could buy the new lens at the price you have shown $1400=874(british pounds)that price would not be a problem.[QUOTE]

Here is a link to B&H Photo, selling it for $1376 US:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:16 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Warehouseexpress has them for 950 inc VAT. Hurry, lens prices are going up fast and soon.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6

in my humble opinion
most canon lenses are superior in image quality save a few 3rd party that also have some very good glass
however i tried the 70-200mm f4 non is and the quality was quite amazing
i tested it against the sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the canon was sharper at f4
i think the price is what sways lotsa people and i dare say it might sway me too coz the diff. in price is quite big
peace
pete
needless to say i am now looking for a 70-200 f4 IS as it is not heAVY as compared to the 2.8, making it easier when travelling and no tripod
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:07 AM   #7

Default Zoom lens

I used to have the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L lens and recently sold it to get the new 70-200 f2.8 L IS II lens. If you can afford this new lens then I would say to go for it. The percent of great shots is very high. The non-IS lens is also very good but the new one is even better. Price is the main consideration however when buying this - the IQ is the very best.
Doug Vann is offline   Reply With Quote