Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:29 PM   #1

Default Lens upgrading help for Rebel T2i

Hello there. I recently purchased my first DSLR, the canon rebel t2i which came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I have been working with the lens for a while now, and though I am fairly happy with the picture quality I'm getting, I know my camera is capable of far more with the right upgrade to my lens. I generally like to do just street photography, though I would like a lens that can do great portraits and macro shots. Can anyone suggest a good lens that can offer a better image quality than the kit lens for these categories that's within the budget of a college student? Or maybe an "all-around" lens that doesn't have to be amazing in one or more area, but better at everything overall compared to the kit lens? Thank you
sneakjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:42 PM   #2

are you shooting at night for street? Macro you will really not get an all around lens that will do macro well. You will need to consider either a true macro lens, or a close up conversion lens, for the walk around lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:52 PM   #3

A fundamental question is - what is the budget of this particular college student? Another is - specifically what sort of photography do you want to do, what focal lengths do you want, and what f-number? There is no "one lens does all" solution.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
A fundamental question is - what is the budget of this particular college student? Another is - specifically what sort of photography do you want to do, what focal lengths do you want, and what f-number? There is no "one lens does all" solution.
My apologies for not specifying my budget. I'm looking at a price range of around $200~500. The type of photography I would like to do is portraits, though I really enjoy doing macro shots. If you have the time then you can check out my gallery to get a better understanding of what kind of photos I have been taking: http://sneakjoint.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:55 PM   #5

Your present lens isn't bad. A lens that will augment what you have rather than replace it is Canon's 55-250. From what I read it's very good value and quite a decent lens, and it's towards the lower end of your budget ($228 on Amazon). This may be the best way to go - to replace your present lens with something significantly better will cost quite a lot of money, and you won't obviously be much better off. My EF-S 15-85 cost over $800.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:16 PM   #6

Thank you for the quick replies does the 55-250 produce good bokeh when taking up close shots, or is that something you achieve by messing with DOF? I heard the 85mm lenses are good "walk around" lens that can. For example http://www.amazon.com/Canon-85mm-Med.../dp/B00007GQLU.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Your present lens isn't bad. A lens that will augment what you have rather than replace it is Canon's 55-250. From what I read it's very good value and quite a decent lens, and it's towards the lower end of your budget ($228 on Amazon). This may be the best way to go - to replace your present lens with something significantly better will cost quite a lot of money, and you won't obviously be much better off. My EF-S 15-85 cost over $800.
Thank you for replying so quickly, I really do appreciate it As for the 55-250, how well of a bokeh does it achieve, or is that dependent on the DOF you use? Also, I heard that the 85 are also really good, such as the canon ef 85mm f/1.8 usm medium telephoto lens.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:09 PM   #8

The 55-250 is a good lens, and depending on how you use it will determine the level of bokeh you get. Since is is not a big aperture lens, you will need to get good separation between your subject and the background to achieve the blur effect you are looking for. But by itself, it is not particularly a good macro lens. So you will really need to add a canon 500D close up lens with the 58mm thread to get it to give good macro results.

The 85mm 1.8 is a good lens, but as a walk around, it might be very limiting on a crop body. It does make a good face portrait lens, with nice bokeh. Something like the 50 1.4 would be a better option if you want a walk around with with some reach on the t2i. It makes for a good head and shoulder portrait lens.

There is always the 50 1.8 that is a good deal at 110 dollars. It will give you the decent bokeh and you can add it and the 55-250 and be well within your budget with the close up lens for macro.

Here is what you can expect with the 500d and 55-250 when shooting macro.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...00d-macro.html
Here is what you can expect of the bokeh if you get good seperation between the subject and background. This is a bit extreme but you get the idea.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...life-here.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:53 AM   #9

The efs55-250 and 50 1.8 are great combination for your budget and produce good pictures
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 2:53 AM   #10

The 50mm 1.8 (or if you want to spend more, get the 1.4) seems to be OK for portrait and for macro. There are loads of people on eBay selling cheap front mounted extra macro lenses for it as well.
And if you don't like it, you can eBay it for almost as much as you paid for it!
I just bought the 50mm,1.8 to go with my 18-55 kit lens and the 70-300 IS that I bought ages ago. I'm very happy with that setup. Even though I've got a zoom gap, I generally find I either want something close or wide and use the kit lens OR I want something miles away and use the full 300mm zoom. And then stick the 50mm on when I want to do something a bit more arty and get some bokeh (or if it's dark).
max_allan is offline   Reply With Quote