Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:07 PM   #1

Default What to Take - Trans-Siberian

I'm going on a small, private group trip (8 people total) starting in St Petersburg, then Moscow, and the Trans-Siberian to Baikal, then Trans-Mongolian (with several days in Mongolia) finishing with three days in Beijing. (20 total days)

I've got over a year experience with my 7D and I'm still learning, but excited about the trip. Here's my lens line-up for now:

Tokina 11-16mm
Canon 15-85mm IS
Canon 70-200mm F4 IS

Am I covered? If I were to buy or rent one more lens, what would you suggest, and should it replace or add to the trio? To see what else I've done in the past year you can check my work HERE
docfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think you should be well covered with those lenses. and i dont see anything that would add to overall flexibility that would be worth the extra space/weight.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Take a jumper. You're covered as far as camera equipment goes.

Well maybe an S95 or something as backup.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:07 PM   #4

I was in Russia in 2005, took the train from Moscow to St. Petersburg. I would have love to have had a lens with a wide aperture (f2.8) to take pictures in the Hermitage. They actually allowed flash photography at the time, but I wouldn't use it because I know enough about art not to expose it to UV unnecessarily. I also would have really liked taking pictures in the evening during our boat tour of the canals in St. Petersburg. We loved that canal tour, I highly recommend it. I also recommend taking the hydrofoil to the summer palace, Petrohof. It's a great 45 minute ride across the Baltic and the view of the fountains while pulling up to the palace in the hydrofoil is spectacular. It's a magnificent opportunity to test your photographic skills. You would also do well with a wide aperture there as well.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:36 PM   #5

Default couple of pics from the canal tour in st. petersburg

Here are a couple of pics from the canal tour: #1 is the Church of the Savior on Blood & #2 is an old bombed out WW II factory that I thought was quite interesting. I really could have used a wider aperture. I've significantly upgraded my equipment & changed over to canon since that time, but that trip was the reason I bought my first DSLR.
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:52 PM   #6
Super Moderator

yea that is a good point about indoor if they don't allow flash. so its nice that the 11-16 is a constant 2.8 aperture and having such a short focal length you should have enough depth of field still for nice indoor shots.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:57 PM   #7

Good points and advice. Since it's so tiny and light, I'll probably throw in my nifty-fifty to cover others shots like indoor art at the Hermitage. Since we're arriving on 18 June, I'm not expecting too many low-light outdoor shots, though. My fellow travelers will have the backup P&S stuff--a few of them quite good.
docfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfrance View Post
Good points and advice. Since it's so tiny and light, I'll probably throw in my nifty-fifty to cover others shots like indoor art at the Hermitage. Since we're arriving on 18 June, I'm not expecting too many low-light outdoor shots, though. My fellow travelers will have the backup P&S stuff--a few of them quite good.
You might not have thought about it, but when I was there it didn't get dark in St. Petersburg. We were there in early July, so I don't know exactly what it will be like in June, but if it's the same, there will be a TON of photo opportunities at night. The streets are busy all night long, simply because it's like dusk at midnight. I'm excited for you and can't wait to see some of your pics. It was the best trip I've ever taken, bar none.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:36 PM   #9

whats up doc
couldnt resist that man
since you have the lenses and camera covered
i would surprisingly suggest a point&shoot
the fuji hs10 or a panasonic fz35 or maybe something even slimmer that fits in your pocket
that way you dont miss a shot as some places may not allow a big-azz camera
besides these p&s cameras go down to f2.8 and upto 400mm
just a odd suggestion
enjoy the ride
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote