Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:56 AM   #21

the older collar had a lot of reports of breaking as I recall.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:19 AM   #22

Collar:
I switched mine to the TS-41 collar.

Gives a nice pistol grip for your fingers to grab on to, and it works better with a DIY holster I found described in a naturescapes.net. article here
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/v...olster#p279085

Not sure that article mentions you do need a safety strap just in case the lens falls out of the holster while you are hiking. (which would be BAD! )

Better Beamer:
Great invention, but has put holes through a couple of pieces of my equipment.
You do need to be watchful of where the sun is !

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:37 PM   #23

I'll need to upgrade several other items as well, not the least of which is my monopod. I wasn't looking to get out cheap, but I found this Benro (see link) on KEH that seems like it would be sufficient & it happens to be very affordable. Any suggestions or comments?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Mo...991173440?r=FE
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I'll need to upgrade several other items as well, not the least of which is my monopod. I wasn't looking to get out cheap, but I found this Benro (see link) on KEH that seems like it would be sufficient & it happens to be very affordable. Any suggestions or comments?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Mo...991173440?r=FE
I'm already answering my own question by doubts about the screw release, etc. Think I'll spend a little more. I'm sure that the more load capacity rating, the sturdier the monopod will be. There are several on Adorama & B&H that are reasonable (under $100), with 40-60lb load ratings that will probably be much more stable.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:46 PM   #25

unless you envision a 400mm 2.8, you don't need to go hog wild on the monopod
I use the bogen 679b. $45 at B&H. I didn't compare it to the one you were looking at, but the 679 is more than capable of supporting the 120-300. You don't need and don't want a big beast of a monopod until you move up to the 400mm-600mm primes.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:09 PM   #26

Agree, I use a bogen/manfrotto 681b monopod (59$ at B&H). It is rated to support 26 pounds, which is similar to the 679b monopod and is more that adequate for the 120-300.

But if you use it with the little 234rc quick release head that can come as a 35$ option with the monopods, it is only rated for 6 pounds.
Which is very borderline, the lens itself weighs in around 6 pounds, add on the body and you are overloading the little 234rc quick release head.

So be watchful of what components you use to make up the total system !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
unless you envision a 400mm 2.8, you don't need to go hog wild on the monopod
I use the bogen 679b. $45 at B&H. I didn't compare it to the one you were looking at, but the 679 is more than capable of supporting the 120-300. You don't need and don't want a big beast of a monopod until you move up to the 400mm-600mm primes.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:56 PM   #27

Quote:
But if you use it with the little 234rc quick release head that can come as a 35$ option with the monopods, it is only rated for 6 pounds.
Which is very borderline, the lens itself weighs in around 6 pounds, add on the body and you are overloading the little 234rc quick release head.

So be watchful of what components you use to make up the total system !
Yes, I noticed that as well. I'll go with either one of the ones mentioned or something quite similar. Thanks for the input.