Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:31 AM   #1

Default Looking for Recs for a lens...

Hi Im new here I just got my first DSLR Canon T1i a few days ago.
I am hooked! I only have the kit lens right now and am looking to purchase a lens for more distance. It will be used in lower light situations.. (dance competions, Indoor sports) Im really looking to take pictures of my children Individually. Thank you for your help!
Sophnickaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:53 AM   #2

Hopefully another moderator will move this post down to the canon lens forum. What indoor sports do you want to shoot? What level of play (middle school, HS, div IV college, div I college, professional)? Where do you have access to shoot from (stands, floor, baseline)?

This will all help determine what lenses are possible fits for your needs. A 70-200 2.8 is a possible starting point but I won't know if it's a good fit for your situation until you provide the specifics.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I've just moved this one.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:03 PM   #4

TY didnt realize I was in the wrong forum

I am shooting young children. My Daughter is 7 and is on a competion dance team and my little guy is 4 and plays indoor baseball and will eventually be outdoor.

I am very new to my camera so I dont want to spend too much on a new lens already( just got the camera 2 days ago LOL) so I was thinking anything around $300 or so??
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:40 AM   #5

My suggestion on the baseball is to wait until it's outdoors. Then you could use something like the canon 55-250 for his outdoor games. For the dance competitions, how far away are you from the stage?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:57 AM   #6

Hi, you just got into this great hobby and are already looking at getting into some quite specialized areas

Low light / indoors and sports as Johng suggested needs fast lenses that can work in those conditions and they are not cheap by any means, the "70-200 f/2.8 IS" John mentioned costs several times what the T1I did, I think it is currently running around 2500$.

I would look at a more reasonable priced longer lens like that EF 55-250 IS or a EF 75-300 IS

These will work great outdoors,, and for indoor photos I would consider getting an external flash of some kind.
Link the 430ex
There are other cheaper brand flashes available like the nissin's and sigma's.

Before using a flash at an event make sure it's use is permitted, many venues do not permit the use of flash as they say it may interfere with the performers.

Hope you enjoy your new pastime!

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:42 PM   #7

well the dance thingis always iffy on allowing pics to be taken. Some comps allow it others do not. Im usually about 25-30 feet away.

Yes quite an expensive hobby

Not looking for perfection but I do now know that the kit lens will not do for 60-70% of the pictures I want to take!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:44 PM   #8

and TY for the recs!!!