Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 7, 2011, 8:57 PM   #1

Default Comment on lens collection for T2i

At the risk of joining the multitudes ad nauseum asking "what lens should I get" . I'll jump in. First, a caveat- I realize lens choice is predicated upon variables only the shooter can answer- what are you shooting, what does your present (e.g., kit lens) "not do" that you need, do you have FL redundancy, etc, and budget.

That said, here's my scenario..I own a newly purchased T2i and the following (see my sig)-

18-55 IS kit lens
50mm f/1.8 MK I
85mm f/1.8
55-250 IS
420 EX flash

Given the above, upgrade-wise I was thinking of getting the Tammy 17-50 (non VC); and I'm fully aware of its oft-cited attributes (and some of the complaints- uncertainty og getting a good copy, buzzy AF, may hunt a bit in low light, yada yada). Again, I JUST upgraded to the T2i and, reading of the need to pair it w/ higher end glass to fully realize the cameras potential, I'm looking at several possibilities. First, at the longer FL's, the 55-250 is fine- thats not my wheelhouse, and that lens suits me fine for the occasional need I have for a telezoom. No need there, My 85 f1.8 is a darling and i find it to be my best portrait lens, and it fits that length for me. It's my fave.
My qstn is, do I have redundancy (or would I) w/ the 50 f/1.8 and the Tammy at 50mm, (since I usually use the 50 stopped down a bit to hit its sweet spot anyway). I'm debating w/ myself if the Tammy could relegate the kit lens and the 50 to my bag... one, if not both.
Note- I shoot a lot of indoors, low light, family events, with a mix of street shooting (my 85), outdoor misc shots, really a grab bag. A possibilty, I realize, and poyentially the best optical answer, would be to buy another prime or two in the wider ranges, but I'm not one to be purely a prime lens guy- (exception being my 85 as one I keep as I have specific need for it), but am struggling with my thoughts on 17/18-50/55 lengths. (,,,and no, budget constraints will not allow a 17-55 f/2.8 IS ))

The kit lens, while not bad for the $$, does not have the edge to edge sharpness I like, its color/contrast naturally arent quite up to par w/ images I've seen from higher end glass. Given a good copy, would the Tammy be a logical upgrade, and if so, as mentioned, where would that place my need for the 50? (as, being a mint MK I, it could help fund my Tammy purchase if redundancy were the case)

To add salt to the stew, I also thoughtof keeping the kit for the wide end and getting the Tammy 28-75 (would have the same question on the nifty 50, however)

I know, I know, a lot of wind...I just want to match up the camera w/ the best glass combo that makes sense. My budget's around $500

Any suggestions or input appreciated. Theoreticals appreciated, i.e., I'd love to hear what folks would get/keep/discard. Mebbe there's options I've not considered. Thnx
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G
Tamron 70-300 VC
SB-600
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2

I started with a 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm II f1.8. Then I bought the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I sold the 18-55mm. I kept the 50mm f1.8 but I haven't really used it since getting the Tamron. It is there for backup in case the Tamron breaks.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 9:28 PM   #3

Default solution

ended up getting the Tammy 28-75, keeping the kit for the wide end. No hurry on the 50mm, I'll see how it fits in...
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G
Tamron 70-300 VC
SB-600
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote