Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 13, 2011, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Packing for Alaska and trying to decide on lenses?

I am going to spend some time in Alaska in June and am debating what equipment to bring or possibly buy. I will be shooting everything from big landscapes to hopefully not too distant wild life. Image quality is important to me.

I am currently shooting with a 7D and plan to bring my 40D body as a backup or mounted with a second lens. I am trying to decide what leness to bring without weighing myself down with a lot of stuff I will hardly use. I plan to bring my 10 – 22 and 100 -400 but am trying to decide how to cover the midrange.

Planning to bring
7D (main body)
40D (as back up body or possibly second lens)
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
???
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Other Lens I have that I could bring
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Option 1: I have a 17 to 55 but would be missing 55mm to 100. Maybe that would range is not a big deal?

Option2: Buy the EF 24 – 105mm f/4which would basically cover the whole range with 3 lenses. I could also use it for portraits and also walk around lens. It would be good on a full frame body if I ever get one. On a crop body would it be not wide enough too often? Or is there another lens that I should be looking at?

Option 3: Bring another lens that I already own? Could add a 4th lenses to my pack and I don’t get a new toy.

What recommendation do you have and am I making any wrong assumptions?

Thanks for your help

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 7:18 PM   #2

The 24-105 is an excellent lens and would be a nice walking around lens. I don't think you would go wrong with that one and it's one you'll keep and use for years to come, regardless of the camera body. If you need wide angle you could pack your 10-22 in a day pack.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:43 PM   #3

Getting new lenses is great (hard to turn down an opportunity ) !

But can always be accommodated by using the old style "foot zoom" method to fill in the gaps.
Worked wonders for many years before zoom lens technology became good enough to produce passable images.

A good bug jacket might also be in order depending on conditions.
Bug repellants containing deet will eat through camera equipment like a hot knife through butter
I have a very nice thumb print permanently etched into one of my older bodies thanks to left over deet on the hands, hate to think what it would have done to a lenses coatings.

Last edited by PeterP; May 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 8:25 AM   #4

Jdnan & PeterP, thank you for taking the time to comment.

I definitely plan to bring the 10 – 22. I love getting new lenses, but I want to make sure that is a good decision and will complement and not duplicate what I already have. I have been guilty in the past of buying equipment that I thought would be the perfect solution and then regretted it later.

So two of my questions are:

1) If I brought 10 -22, 17 – 55 & 100 – 400 would I really miss not having the 55 – 100 range? Moving forward is easy if the subject is close, but there are some big spaces in Alaska where that is not alway going to be possible.
2) If I got the 24 – 105 would be continually swapping out with the 10 – 22 to get a little wider?

Anybody else have an opinion?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:07 PM   #5

I picked up a 24-105mm for my 550d. When I shot a wedding, I only needed to switch lenses for 12 pictures out of 1200 to get a wider view. For those few shots my 18-55mm lens wasn't wide enough anyway, but it worked (shooting guests seated at 8' round tables).

At 24mm on our APS-C bodies, we need to be 10' back to capture an entire 6' person in the frame. 7' if shooting in portrait.

How often will you be swapping lenses? That's up to you and your style of photography so it's not a question anyone can fully answer for you. Landscapes? 10-22. Big things in small spaces? 10-22. Everything else short of telephoto? 24-105.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 12:21 PM   #6

I think that Jim answered your question as effectively as possible.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:31 PM   #7

Iowa jim,

Thanks for your input on the 24-105. you addressed some of my concerns for groups at the 24mm end. I also found a review of the 24-105 with samples of shoots at different focal length that was helpful. At this point I am leaning towards getting the lens.

Tom
Old May 19, 2011, 1:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schent1 View Post
I am going to spend some time in Alaska in June and am debating what equipment to bring or possibly buy. I will be shooting everything from big landscapes to hopefully not too distant wild life. Image quality is important to me.

I am currently shooting with a 7D and plan to bring my 40D body as a backup or mounted with a second lens. I am trying to decide what leness to bring without weighing myself down with a lot of stuff I will hardly use. I plan to bring my 10 – 22 and 100 -400 but am trying to decide how to cover the midrange.

Planning to bring
7D (main body)
40D (as back up body or possibly second lens)
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
???
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Other Lens I have that I could bring
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Option 1: I have a 17 to 55 but would be missing 55mm to 100. Maybe that would range is not a big deal?

Option2: Buy the EF 24 – 105mm f/4which would basically cover the whole range with 3 lenses. I could also use it for portraits and also walk around lens. It would be good on a full frame body if I ever get one. On a crop body would it be not wide enough too often? Or is there another lens that I should be looking at?

Option 3: Bring another lens that I already own? Could add a 4th lenses to my pack and I don’t get a new toy.

What recommendation do you have and am I making any wrong assumptions?

Thanks for your help

Tom
take the 70 -300

and sell me the 70-200 2.8
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote