Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2004, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Which would you all recommend?

OK, currently I have 0 dollars, I have a 64 meg CF card so I need to decide first of all whether or not to first get a new lens, then a new CF card or visa versa. I know the 64 megs isnt to large but I mainly need to take photos for newsprint which doesnt exactly need the full 6 megapixels the DR offers. I do however need to take photos of speakers, events, etc, and a zoom lens might almost be more useful first...

So, that being said, these are the 2 lenses I can even imagine affording (yes, low quality to ya'll, but its all I could possibly afford)

Either: Canon Zoom Normal-Telephoto EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II Autofocus Lens
Or: Canon EF 75-300mm
f/4-5.6 III USM

Does the 200mm zoom take much better quality photos, or what? I ask because it is about 40 bucks cheaper, and has less zoom (obviously).

Thanks for any advice
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:48 PM   #2

Quote:
OK, currently I have 0 dollars
Perhaps you should reevaluate your needs over your wants. Patience, grasshopper :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:08 PM   #3

k, CF card problem was just solved by my father who spoiled me and went out and bought me a 128 meg CF card... Might not exactly be giant, BUT I also have 2x64 meg CF cards now, for a grand wopping total of 256!.

Now, on to the lens...

Oh, and btw, I think the lens is needed, cause like I said some plays and sporting events I NEED to get in close.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:58 PM   #4

Change in circumstances: You fixed your girlfriend's dad's laptop: collect 250 dollars!

Ok, so now my budget is around 250 dollars. I want something with a decent zoom and good image quality, as well as being AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! Any suggjustions?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:59 PM   #5

oh, and did i mention photos for the school newspaper durrent events like plays (no flash) hockey games, basketball, football, etc...

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2004, 9:29 PM   #6
NHL

Get the $70 EF-50mm f/1.8! :lol:

With the 1.6x crop-factor it should be OK for basketball as well from the sidelines otherwise a cheap teleconverter should augmented it with still a faster aperture than the other lenses...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:31 PM   #7

thats probably not a bad idea... does the EF-S lens work with a teleconverter? and does the teleconverter effect the apperature or amount of light that gets in?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:02 PM   #8

ok, i have been thinking, and although I know the 50mm would be a good thing to have, i really think i want something longer to take pictures of fuzzy animals at the zoo and also to capture actors from far away...

Will anything compare to a 1500 dollar Nikon lens (i forgot the lens name) that is a 80-200 zoom lens, with the D1? Thats what I was using before with the paper, now I want the same performance but with only 200 bucks on a lens.... what do you think?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:05 PM   #9

Fix another laptop, and get the Canon 70-200L F4. You'll never look back.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
Fix another laptop, and get the Canon 70-200L F4. You'll never look back.

Barthold
good idea... unfortunatly, I am going back to school so that will probaly have to wait for next summer .

What about the Sigma - 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Super Macro II lens? its 200 bucks, I have read good things about it...

btw, is that 70-200L F4 all the way?