Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:51 PM   #1

Default Polarizing Filter

Question for the experts. I have a canon 10d with a 28-135 EF lens. It was recommended that I get a polarizing filter for water and snow shots.

I was wondering if anyone can explain the diff between a linear polarizing filter and a circular polarizing filter.

Also should I go with a canon filter or shoot for an off brand to save $$.

Thanks for you help/suggestions, I appreciate them.
msoe-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:01 PM   #2

hmmmz, me personally... filters are pointless for Digital. They can be used, but can be easily simulated with Adobe. If you want your sky more blue, then use adobe and select the sky area and change your blue saturation channel higher/lower to your likings.

But if you wish to get them, Linear is I believe all one level of polarize. A circular polarizer when on still turns. The coating or whatever varies as you turn it (Deeper or brighter). But to me, this is a expensive answer that your adobe can take care of in matter of seconds.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:12 PM   #3
djb

can adobe remove glare off water and show what is beneath it like a polarizer can. or remove reflections off a windshield and show what is in the car like a polarizer can?? just wondering.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:17 PM   #4

djb is right. Many things can be simulated in PhotoShop, but a polarizer can't be completely done (the effect it has on a blue sky can be done, I bet, but not the reflection removeal.)

I believe you have to get a circular polarizer. A Linear polarizer will stop either AF or metering from working (I forget which, I think AF.) Check the Camera's manual, it should say.

How much does the Canon cost? I would get an after market one, myself. In fact I did. I got a rebranded Hoya one.

http://www.2filter.com/

is supposed to be a fairly good company. They carry a lot of brands. I haven't used them, but others here have (NHL?)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:21 PM   #5
djb

i got my polarizer from 2filter.com and have used it a few times and they do work.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:50 PM   #6
NHL

A circular polarizer is the right answer... A linear polarizer can affect either (or both) the AF or metering, since both elements can rely on beam splitter.

Infrared and Polarizer are two filters that Photoshop will have a hard time duplicating... Can you see the bottom? :P

More info on polarizer here
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote