Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1

Default Is it wrong to want a full frame sensor body to expand lens selection by 2?

OK, so I am trying to figure out all the lenses we need for a 50D that we have. My wife loves to shoot in prime, 50mm. Then got to thinking about getting 35mm, 85mm, etc, lenses.

Already have a 30d body as a back up.

Why wouldn't we sell the 30d and get a 5d (plus cash) and you make the 50mm 1.4 (which is really a 80mm on the 50D) a true 50mm. So now by purchasing a full frame camera, you end up with 2 choices for every lens?

IE-
the 50mm ends up being a true 50 and an 80
the 85mm ends up being a true 85 and a 136mm
etc...

Is this a popular thing to do?
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2

with FF you have more dof to consider, beside the crop factor on the FL, you have the crop on the dof.

So 1.4 is really 1.4 and not 2.2. So if she is already shooting at 1.4 on the 50d, she will have thinner dof with FF.

And you get much better low light ability and higher level of details.

And it is popular to some to run aps-c and ff. I will be one of them in digital next year, kinda sorta am with film now.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:55 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It does make a certain kind of sense, especially for primes, but when it comes to zoom lenses it probably means you will be restricting your options to EF lenses which can cause you some issues at the wide end.

Probably you will find yourself using the crop cameras mostly for telephoto work and the FF for wide work. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but there are some very good wide and normal zooms available for the crop that you will not end up owning just because you cannot use them on the FF camera.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:46 AM   #4

That is why I have never bought any ef-s lenses, even way back when I was still switching to digital with the 10D/20D bodies. I was already looking forward to the day full frames cameras came down in price.

The ef-s lines begin around 10mm - 11mm I believe?
On Full Frame that would be matched by the EF 16-35 f/2.8 L and EF 17-40 f/4 L (relatively inexpensive for an L, about the same price as the ef-s 10-22!) lenses.

At the telephoto end you do get an apparent 1.6x boost to your focal length, because the smaller sensor is cropping out more from the center of your image circle, which the full frame is not.
You can always crop a full frame image down after the fact. (if you really want to)

That said cameras like the 50D and 7d are great performers,.
If they already do all you need, really no reason to to go full frame (except the dreaded "Gear Acquisition Syndrome")

Myself I have been resisting (successfully so far) going the other way and acquiring a 7d for its fast frame rate capability.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM. Reason: patching up da grammer
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:54 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
That is why I have never bought any ef-s lenses, even way back when I was still switching to digital with the 10D/20D bodies. I was already looking forward to the day full frames cameras came down in price.
And how's that worked out for you? Any sign of cheap FF cameras yet?

You didn't believe me when I told you they were going to stay expensive 6 years ago. Do you still think a cheap FF is just around the corner? I seem to remember predictions of $1500 or even $1000 FF within 3 years in 2005. Think we might get there by 2015?

If anything they are getting more expensive and no sign of movement in the other direction in the forseeable future.

Of course you can buy used FF cameras now for a reasonable price - perhaps that was what you meant?

Last edited by peripatetic; Jun 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:06 AM   #6

Yes, all my current bodies are 5d mk-ii's
Quite inexpensive for a full frame, compared to the 1ds. (less than 1/2 the price)

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Haha. Well of course they are very good value for money. No doubt the 5D and D700 hit a sweet spot.

And of course I have one too.